DS2438 Smart Battery Monitor

Dippy

I assume you did a search?
Maybe PHAnderson has used one. He's a clever chap. He'll know how to use it. And a chap called Andrew from 4 years ago.

Any considerations? Well, read the Data Sheet 10 times at least. Then get on with it. Then you'll be able to advise others on what looks like a useful chip, though all those functions can be replicated on a PIC.

marcos.placona

Yes Dippy, I did search for it, and even found that on phanderson's website, where he mentions the use of it, but I wanted to know if someone was actually using it right now.

I'd be happy to put it on the finished projects as soon as I finish my tests, so some people can use it.

I basically asked this here out of curiosity, and if someone is actually using it, it'd be good to know, as we can exchange information.

krypton_john

And fair enough too, Marcos. You can read a datasheet 100 times and still not know about all sort of ideosyncracies, gotchas and fish hooks that only experimentation and experience with the device will reveal. Just like reading the PICAXE manuals gets you no way near a complete understanding of how to fully and correctly use the device.

Sometimes a PICAXE project is about getting something done rather than pure education.

marcos.placona

And fair enough too, Marcos. You can read a datasheet 100 times and still not know about all sort of ideosyncracies, gotchas and fish hooks that only experimentation and experience with the device will reveal. Just like reading the PICAXE manuals gets you no way near a complete understanding of how to fully and correctly use the device.

Sometimes a PICAXE project is about getting something done rather than pure education.
Totally agree with that. There's times when a little sparkle of experience does much better than 5 datasheets.

Well, I've had a hard time last night to create my own SMD to DIP adapter (yes, I've seen the tutorial posted here about a week ago, but it wasn't so easy to do.)

I ended up using a DIP8 socket (will post pictures here later).

By the time I finished that and saw that everything was still working, I just stopped my tests, and will come back to it today. I shall come up with something tonight, and will keep posting.

As soon as I have something working (battery/temperature measurements station), I'll post it on the finished projects.

ybpoor

I've been using the DS2438 for the past 5 years for measuring current and voltage for my RE system. The datasheets, docs, and application notes from Maxim gave me all the info required. Not being SMD inclined my biggest problem was mounting them. PHAnderson sells them in a DIP package for a reasonable price. I use them for voltage and current measurement for a 24V system with inputs (300W hydro, 400W wind turbine, 2kW PV panels) ranging from 0 - 60 amps. This is currently using the 1 wire bus to link to a PC (an old notebook)
that controls all sorts of things using the 1 wire bus and other devices through the serial port and USB. I'm looking at using PICAXE for some of the functions currently being controlled by the PC.

marcos.placona

Hi ybpoor thanks for you comments on that. I stil didn't have much time to play with that,as I was waiting for myDS2482S-100+ to arrive.

I'm hooking it up to an 18x, so I'll be using I2C for the communication.

If you have any tips for me in regards to coding, it'd be more than welcome.