DS2415

tjetson

Can I use the DS2415 One-Wire RTC with the Picaxe 08M?

Also, an unrelated question: is there such a thing as a i2c to One-Wire converter chip?

tjetson

I need at least a 28X1 for that, in which case I may as well use the i2c bus.

So, just to clarify, there is NO way to use the RTC with the 08-M? No way to cheat, or anything? I couldn't use the readtemp command?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
No way that I know of to use DS2415 with an 08M. READTEMP is specific for the DS18B20.

Also the 08M doesn't support pre-defined I2C commands if thinking of going that route, though I2C could be bit-banged.

westaust55

I need at least a 28X1 for that, in which case I may as well use the i2c bus.
The 18X also has i2c comms. By then, since you will have i2c, you might as well use the DS1307 or DS1338 RTC which are more frequently used with PICAXE chips.

westaust55

Bit banging

Big Banging is where the user writes some program code typically to communicate with another device where the communications protocol, eg i2c is not provided by the master (ie PICAXE) chip.
Usually involves putting the data out one bit at a time in a serial manner (but could be a parallel format). Also usually requires a second signal line as a clock signal to indicate when each bit is ready.

A simple example is the SHIFTOUT command.
have a look at Manual 2 page 192 (manual V6.9)

In the X1 and X2 parts, this command is provided as part of the interpreter so the user can just use the SHIFTOUT command with its various control switches.

For earlier parts the manual gives BASIC program routines to achive the same thing. These routines are bit-bang code.

westaust55

At post 1, you were looking to use an o8M.

The issue there is that you only ahve 256 bytes for your program.

A simple SHIFTOUT using bit banging as per the manual could be okay but to try and do anything more complex, by the time you have an o2c routine running (I have not written a bit-bang version) ther would be no room left to achieve your other tasks.

By comparison, an 18X has 2048 bytes of program space AND also has 12c inbuilt.

The OWIN/OWOUT commands need an X1 or X2 part.

Another member on this forum was working with an i2c to one-wire interface.
Maybe you can do a search to find that thread.