Ds18b20 Temperture Sensor

jimmy88

i have ds18b20 and it reads temperature im using the debug command and the values is shown on the debug window
anyway the temperature reading is realistic but when i try to apply heat near to the sensor it takes time to let the temperture increase

is it ok to touch the sensor by a heat source like an iron to make the temp increase faster or the sensor is going to damage
because i don't touch the sensor i just apply heat near to the sensor

i have onother quesstion
whats RSSI ,STAT, IND on xbee module stand for

Last edited:

westaust55

The DS18B20 is design to work over a temperature range of -55°C to 125°C. It is accurate to ±0.5°C over the range of –10°C to +85°C. SO suggest 125°C is the maximum allowable temperature and the error may be greater.

From my observation there is a slight thermal lag when heat is applied directly to the body of the DS18B20 – such as when using your fingers to raise the temperature for checking.

The tin-Lead type solders typically have a melting point around 175 to 183°C and the soldering iron tip particularly of non-controlled irons will be higher than this to actually melt the solder.
Accordingly. I would not suggest placing your soldering iron in contact with the DS18B20 IC.

marcos.placona

It may well be something on your code (like a long pause maybe). Try to remove all the pauses on your code, and run a simple

Code:
main:
readtemp 1,b1 'read value into b1
debug b1
goto main
This should give you accurate results. Just remember that the conversion can take up to 750ms

Here it changes whenever I put my fingers on the sensor (considering a small delay of +/- 750ms)

Andrew Cowan

I find that holding a DS18B20 gives a noticable responce - if not, either dip the body (not the legs) in hot or boiling water, or you can give it a QUICK blast with a heat gun.

Andrew

marcos.placona

Even if you blow some air on it (from your mouth will do), you should get the temperature increased by at least 2 degrees. Of course it will vary a bit in case you are doing it inside of a sauna, or if you're in a desert ;)

manuka

Good suggestions, & I'll add that DEBUG is a real command slow coach-you'll get brisker results with SERTXD/F8.

Dippy

Don't stick a soldering iron tip onto the device.

Jimmy says 'takes time' - great, but what sort of duration? Are we talking about mS, seconds, minutes..?
It's like saying that your car goes 'really fast'.

Apply heat 'near the sensor' - whats the heat source? Radiant? Hot air? Mother-in-Law's breath?

As suggested, is it your code?
Have you remembered that reading a DS18xx isn't instant?
Have you remembered your schoolboy physics about heat conduction and heat capacities?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Blowing on it, waving a notepad over it, neslting it in your armpit ( or somewhere more daring ! ) should all cause a noticeable change of temperature.

There will always be some thermal lag but I've never measured it - Have you checked the datasheet ? I wouldn't recommend touching it with a soldering iron either.

jimmy88

thxxx
i stick the sensor to a bowl that has a boiled water and the temp increased faster

any idea wut do STAT and IND stand for

westaust55

Looks like the general concesus was not the put the soldering iron tip against the temp sensor.

Now, do you want to give us a hint as to where the STAT and IND come from that you are referencing? Manual, datasheet, etc. Page No?

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
From AXE210_XBee.PDF ...

The AXE210 board has three LED indicators.

RSSI connects to the XBee RSSI pin (pin 6)
STATUS connects to the XBee ON/Sleep pin (pin 13
IND connects via Jumper 3 to either XBee Associate pin (pin 15) or Transmit pin (pin 11)

RSSI indicates the XBee received signal strength
STATUS indicates whether the XBee module is active/sleeping
IND indicates whether the XBee module has associated with another module (Associate position) or is transmitting data (Transmit position).