Driving LEDs from 74HC using PWM.

AndyGadget

I've just decided that a couple of 74HC595 latched shifters is the best way to drive a matrix of 15 LEDs for a project I'm working on, but I'm planning to do it the dirty way by driving them with no resistors and using the HPWM of a 20x2 into OE of the 595s to control the average current (brightness). Looking at the HC595 absolute max ratings I think I'll get away with it as long as I don't get too ambitious.
Just wondering if anyone's tried anything similar.

BeanieBots

Not advised!
Unlike an LED which is fairly happy with an average current via PWM, the 595 output current should not be exceeded even for a brief moment.
You might get away with it but it's not advised.
Totem pole output transistors can blow very quickly when abused.

Andrew Cowan

Max current per pin = 35mA
Max current for package = 75mA

You could drop the voltage to avoid needing a diode - look at the Vf/If graph in the LED's datasheet. Don't forget the internal drop in the 595 (0.7v) when calculating.

A

AndyGadget

Ta for the replies. In the light of Beaniebots' I'll probably do it the proper way and take the component count hit. Those were the current figures I was looking at and assuming thermal momentum would allow averaging, but I've never tried abusing MOSFET gates in that way. (However, I may just sacrifice a chip and see how far I can take it #;¬)

AndyGadget

Thanks - The 5916/17 look more interesting as they come in a 16DIL package rather than small outline. Farnell do them too.

Twenty years ago when I was designing kit and writing in-circuit test programs for a living I could tell you what just about any chip around was, and give you the pinouts for a fair proportion. Now I'm doing this as a hobby and there's so many weird and wonderful devices around I've lost track of what's out there.

BCJKiwi

Two 5916/7s would be required as they are 8 channel.

Had good results from the Philips SAA1064 (an oldie but goodie). It is a 24 pin 16 channel wide DIP, bank switched unit with brightness control. Designed for 4 x 7 segment displays and can be used with or without the bank switching.
Just watch the full chip current capacity if running a lot of Leds at once at higher brightness settings.

http://www.nxp.com/#/pip/pip=[pip=SAA1064_CNV_2]|pp=[t=pip,i=SAA1064_CNV_2 ]
(The link doesn't work as the forum doesn't like the sq brackets - just copy and paste to the browser)

and available from the usual suppliers - price at Futurlec $3.20

Last edited: