Download error to picaxe through combination download cable

Gaetano

IMG_20160716_082546.jpgHello Everyone
I am trying to make up a less expensive version of the USB download cable for my students to use. In the past (on older versions of windows) I was able to use two cables in serial, one being a USB to serial converter and the other being a serial to 3.5mm audio jack. I currently run Win 10 Edu and the driver installed itself without the need for a disk (on a laptop). I opened the editor, checked the cable and it passed the first test, snippet included. The second test I could only get a reading of 2.85V instead of the required 5V as it states. I also ran a firmware check to see what Picaxe chip was connected and that worked properly. When I went to down load a program to see if it worked the following message came up Error: Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but 0xFFFFFFF0 received at byte 0[/B][/B]. I have also included an image of the two cables in serial, if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.
Regards
Gaetano

Attachments

westaust55

What is the power source for the PICAXE chip?
(5V regulated supply of 3x AA cells?)

Expecting which PICAXE chip are you try to program.

If you can detect the firmware type & revision number then often the power supply voltage is a possible cause. You may need new/fresh AA battery cells.

Gaetano

Thanks for the response, changed batteries and still not good. The 2.85V reading came from the stereo socket end which was connected to the laptop. It was not a measure of the voltage being supplied to the picaxe.

CDRIVE

I have quite a few USB/Serial converters. One of which looks like the same China model you have. I'll test it with PE-6 and post the results later.

On a side note I've never had any Picaxe issues with any of my converters except for an older Belkin I have. That Belkin model's problem is that it doesn't recognize the "Break" signal that Picaxe uses during program download.

Chris

AllyCat

Hi,

That error message is normally associated with a PICaxe supply rail issue. Or just occasionally a "confused" computer operating system (so a full PC reboot is sometimes worthwhile).

I nearly always use those Chinese "blue" CH340 USB adapters, which work fine for PICaxe, with drivers even for Win10 being available. Unless of course the Chinese have started "faking" their own products. :)

Cheers, Alan.

premelec

I've had good results with CH340 type USB to DE9 to PICAXE plug - very inexpensive... and I use the 9pin to stereo plug I made a decade ago...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The second test I could only get a reading of 2.85V instead of the required 5V as it states.
First thing I would do is determine why that is. If something is faulty then it won't ever work while the fault remains.

CDRIVE

Well no surprises at this end. When I tested mine it swings from -6V to +6V. So either your CH340 has gone west or something in your wiring is pulling it down. What's your voltage reading before you click the test button? Is it also -2.84V?

Chris