DorkbotPDF (cheap!) PCB manufacturer

NXTreme

While browsing around, trying to find some more info on the TI Launchpad, I came across a blog post that compared three PCB manufacturers that would make boards cheaply for people like me, that want a board done cheaply but well and don't really care too much about the time it takes to arrive.

I've heard about BatchPCB and MakePCB before, but never sent a board in before, because of the rather expensive setup costs. At least it's expensive for me :). However, I'd never heard of the other manufacturer, DorkbotPDX, which is strange as his pricing is way better than even even BatchPCB, which has been considered about as good as it gets. If you order a board from him, you pay $5 US per square inch, and you get three copies of the board you sent in. IE, you send in a one square inch board, nothing else. You pay $5 US (that also includes shipping!) and get three copies of the board you sent in. Of course, this has the downside that if you only want one board, your gettin' three. However, even so, the pricing is better than anything I've ever seen.

So why am I posting this here. Several reasons. I believe that lots of us could benefit from a service like this, it's better than BatchPCB! Second, by reading some of the comments on his main page, I found out that he's not getting enough orders to make ends meet and if he doesn't get enough big orders, he might have to shut down for a while (comment was six or seven months old). It'd be a shame to lose such a valuable service. Lastly, did I mention the boards are purple? Not boring green or sorta cool red, but a VERY cool LilyPad (as in the sew-able Arduino) purple!

Sorry if this seems a bit like advertising, thought some might be interested!

NXTreme

I have used SparkFuns Eagle library, they have most things like dip packages and 3.5mm headphone jacks for programming and such. However, I never was able to find a Picaxe library. Thanks for the link, will have to download it and look through it.

Andrew Cowan

I've used his service, and sent him gerber files.

Highly recommended - he's a great guy to deal with, very very cheap, and the delivery and manufacturing time isn't too bad either.

I'll be using him for all my PCBs in the future.

Andrew

NXTreme

SeeedStudio seems cheaper for big boards, but I'd prefer to support a service like his, especially at those prices. Besides, now that I've seen purple, I don't want to turn back... :eek:

slurp

Excellent Service

Following one of the most recent posts I've ordered a few small boards for SMD and Thru' hole components.

Even with standard postage, order to delivery was just under 3 weeks. It's been much simpler than my usual PCB construction methods (paper transfer) and proably comparable on cost but with a quality that far exceeds what I can do for myself.

I'll be back for more (but I'll double check my library and hole sizes!! :rolleyes: )

Best regards,
Colin

MORA99

Also in the realm of cheap pcb options...

iteadstudio.com will do 10pcs 5x5cm for 12$ (add shipping)
And 10pcs 10x10cm for 28$

Ofcause its a bit wierd to order 10pcs prototype with the risk that it wont work.
Also they only test 5pcs, so if you need more than 5 boards, you should test them manually (or pay the extra 10$ for a full 10pcs test).

Add color for 10-13$ extra

slurp

These are my PCBs, the lighting doesn't show the dark purple finish to great effect.

A couple of sensors and double side board for an 18M2 :D

Best regards,
colin

Attachments

wall_axe

One thing I REALLY miss about the DIY toner transfer method is plated through holes. This is definitely worth looking into.

The only part that keeps me away is using Eagle. I do everything with ExpressPCB and found these other options overly complex. Might have to look into Eagle again along with the Sparkfun tutorials...

Dippy

Well, there are a hundred PCB companies that will make good PCBs at a variety of prices. Many have been mentioned on this Forum several times over the years.
If they are the price and quality and delivery time that suits you then that's fine.

Then we have not-so-many PCB manufacturers who are 100% ROHS.
Some offer silver plating and other options.
And one I accidentally came across phoned me up to tell me I'd boobed on a particular pad and suggested a change.
Because they actually checked and saved me money/time I've stuck with them. No, they're not the cheapest. No, they're not made in China. Yes, they can do a 2 day turnround. Yes, they are 100% ROHS. Yes, you can speak to them in English.

You pays yer money.....
I'm surprised Westy or Andrew haven't done a spreadsheet or table :rolleyes:

D396

Speaking of customer service,. There was an error in my design and Laen (the guy who runs it) emailed my back pointing it how and giving me suggustions on how I should fix It.

Dippy

I was hoping for a better table. it doens't seem to have a very flat top.

I'm afraid the manuf's name puts me off.
I suppose it's meant to be jokey and high-school-name stuff.
I must take the Mother-in-Law to that new private clinic , Muffs-R-Us. Sounds like a quality company.

Dippy

If you have friends you can invite them round and put your beer glasses on a table (using silver coasters of course).
It could be embarrassing if you tried doing that on a 'scope.

And when your gas runs out you can burn the table.
A 'scope wouldn't be much good for that. :rolleyes:

You can hide under a table if there is an atomic bomb blast.
You'd look pretty stupid with a 'scope on your head.
Though with some people it actually might improve their looks and others look stupid anyway. :)

alistairsam

One thing I REALLY miss about the DIY toner transfer method is plated through holes. This is definitely worth looking into.

The only part that keeps me away is using Eagle. I do everything with ExpressPCB and found these other options overly complex. Might have to look into Eagle again along with the Sparkfun tutorials...
anyone tried using designspark for schematic and pcb layouts?
very easy to use and it does manufacturing plots and has an extensive component list. lot easier than eagle, and is also free.

plated through holes would be good while making your own, i use the pulsarfx pro toner transfer papers and a modified laminator to transfer, ammonium persulphate to etch.
i got 0.8mm bits from rsonline and use a standard drill press.
helps heaps to have your prototype ready in less than 2 hours.

but will check out these links.

Dippy

Yes, I've tried Designspark - a cut down Easy-PC.
It's great value for money and I can't get on with Eagle either.

I must confess that I've been 'converted' by Proteus now.
I can't afford Orcad.:eek:

womai

Naah, as a real engineer what could smell better than smoldering PCB giving up those toxic fumes! We just had a decent-sized fire in the lab opposite to mine - one component shorted, overloading the power supply circuit which then also started smoking, taking out a couple neighboring boards, and as a result also melting and destroying the backplane. Could be smelled in the whole building.

Last edited:

Dippy

The most satisfying smell is the burning of any new PCB designed by the head of design - especially after he/she ignores your advice.