Do I get a prize....

geoff07

Probably not. When did it come back up? I assumed it was up hours ago, rather than 19:20 minus a bit (your post time). In which case perhaps I'm the second??

MartinM57

...nope - just happened to be passing and the new forum just happened to be up and it seemed that no-one else had posted.

Anyways, bought a new toy at the weekend as a prize to myself, just need a chance to show it off :D

westaust55

You can add videos :)!

That will/should be a good move.
Less need for those "brag" only type links to U-tube as all info on a project (with schematic and code) can be posted here to keep it all together and help avoid (future) broken links.

Dippy

I'll bite : what's the new toy Martin?

Will you need a puncture repair kit after a few months?
Were batteries included?

PS. What's this funny "autosaved" pop-uppy thing that appears now and then? And where is it autosaving?

PPS. Rick Astley? With a silent "P" :) Ah well, it takes all sorts....

Last edited:

MartinM57

Will you need a puncture repair kit after a few months?
Hope not - it's the latest model with extra protection compared to the versions that some others have got. It's higher speed as well...

Were batteries included?
Nope - batteries not needed - just have to have the PC at your side at all times as it's USB powered....

Isn't it weird how the Quick Reply box (on Chrome, at least) splits words at the end of the line rather traditional word wrapping?

Andrew Cowan

OK - here's my guess to win the prize for guessing the prize you bought yourself:

Is it the (excellent) Salae logic analyzer? Possibly the Logic16 model (16 channels, 100MHz)?

A

MartinM57

Well, there was no fun in that - yes, a Saleae Logic16...I know that others here have at least the 8 channel Logic version

The headline figure (16 channels, 100Mhz) is a bit of sales-speak - it's actually 2 channels at 100MHz, 4 channels at 50MHz, 8 channels at 25MHz, or all 16 channels at 12.5MHz...see http://www.saleae.com/logic16/
...but the latest software (I'm running the 1.1.11 beta at the moment) has upped all these sample rates by 50% (by I think, re-flashing the device)

It's very good - and can now take 1 terrasamples after the trigger point and the PC side software has a great user interface. If it had a "free run" mode as opposed to having to be edge-triggered, it would be even better.

It's not a scope and only shows the 1's and 0's as interpreted by it's level sensing (switchable for 5v, 3.3v and 1.8v logic levels), so you can't see slow rise times, overshoots etc in the analogue domain.

For less than the price of the serial application modules (I2C, RS-232 etc) on my Tek scope it's great value for money...

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

I've got the 8 channel version, and I find it fantastic - especially the various analysis tools (serial, SPI etc). I find for PICAXE work I tend to use it more than my scope, and the 25MHz of the 8 channel unit is plenty for most applications.

I'm not running the latest software, but my unit does have a free run mode with no triggering - possibly that's been removed in the latest software?

A