Diodes in PICAXE CREATE

Berniea

I have recently started using DesignSpark PCB. I downloaded all the PICAXE Create libraries and on my first design I ran into a problem using the the 1N4001 diode in the picaxe_create_components_cml library. Having translated a schematic to PCB and manually moved/connected 2 diodes, DesignSpark complains when I do a design check between the schematic and PCB and wants to reroute the diodes. What I found is that the pin numbers of the diodes in the picaxe create component library are transposed between the schematic and the PCB versions. All of the diodes (1N4001,2 etc) are the same. I have used a diode from the designspark downloads library and that is all okay. I also edited a picaxe create diode for my "user" library and that looks aok but when using the diode (ie "ADD COMPONENT") the pin numbers in the schematic get transposed!

Can anyone advise what is going wrong?

inglewoodpete

I'm not a user of DesignSpark PCB. Having done a search of the PICAXE Forums, I can see that there are just a handful of members who may have used this tool. They may be able to help.

As an aside, can you identify who created the library or libraries? The name may be a member of this forum. (and maybe they don't check the forum very often too)

Berniea

I'm not sure who actually created the libraries but I downloaded them with DesignSpark from the Picaxe Website so I would have thought the process would have gone via Rev-Ed Technical and they might respond in due course. I was in two minds whether I should post this on the Picaxe Forum or the DesignSpark forum but as the libraries came from the Picaxe source I decide to post it here and see.

Thanks for your input though

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We're not aware of this but will look into it. Not sure what you mean when you say you edited a component and they are still reversed, because there are only 2 possibilities for the pin connections!
However there is no problem at all in using the generic component from the main library either, it will work just as well.

Berniea

On a design, if you select "Library" from the top toolbar, then select the "picaxe_create_components.cml" library and from that library select the 1N4001 diode. Then select "Edit" and both the Schematic and PCB symbols are shown with their pin numbers. However, the Schematic symbol cathode is pin 1 and the PCB symbol cathode is pin 2! All the other diodes are the same.

I wanted a 1N5189 diode so I used the 1N4001 Component and edited it to change the name and made the pin numbers on the Schematic symbol the same as the PCB symbol ie both cathodes as pin 2 (and anodes as pin 1). this "new" Component I saved in my "user component library". If I select this diode (1N5189) from my user library, by the process in para 1 above, I can see that both the Schematic symbol and PCB symbol pin numbers are both correct - as I had edited them. However, if I try and use this new component in a design the Schematic symbol in the Schematic diagram shows the diode's cathode as pin 1 (not 2) as in my library - DesignSpark appears to have transposed the pin numbers from my Library component! The PCB symbol in the PCB design is okay, as in the user library.

Hopefully this makes it a little clearer.

I am not sure what which "main library" you are referring to