different results using program editor and picaxe08m compiler when downloading the sa

hello you guys,

I have a picaxe08m project with some #define and #ifdef statements in order to generate various coding. When I download the program to the picaxe08m with the program editor I get a different result to download with picaxe08m.exe. With the program editor the program size is 234 bytes, with the compiler only 230 bytes. It seems, that the compiler ignores one or more of the #define or #ifdef statements. Is there something known about that behavior?

p.s. I am using program editor V5.4.2 and the compiler downloaded this evening.

Regards
Hermann

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If could be discrepancy in compiler versions; perhaps check the size, date and version of the picaxe08m.exe and that under -

C:\Program Files\Programming Editor\Compiler

The compiler in c:\Program Files\Programming Editor\Compiler is from 23.10.2011, 17:57 and 264 KB. The compiler in the zip-file I downloaded this evening is the same. The unzipped Compiler-file is from this evening. Using the compiler in c:\Program Files\Programming Editor\Compiler via cmd-window gives the same wrong result with program size 230 bytes instead of 234 bytes.

Sorry - I did not tell the right thing: The Compiler in c:\Program Files\Compiler is from 16:9.2011, 15:03 an 264 KB. Same as in zip-file downloaded this evening. Results als told.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The program is 100% identical in each case. However the two systems do calculate the approximate memory usage very slightly differently, this is because it is memory usage 'guide' only. You will get an identical error message when the program is actually too long in both cases.

Sorry, but the downloaded program is not identical. I can see this, because I use a LED to show different program states and functions. According to the #define and #ifdef statement in one case the LED blinks three times with a frequency of about 0,5 Hz and program then goes on after a defined pause of about 30 seconds. In the other case the led blinks with a frequency of 4 Hz as long as a push-button will be pushed and then the program goes on.
I used several #define statements because the program would exceed the maximum possible size, if I would implement normal if statements and all according coding. For more look at the coding in the attachement.

Attachments

Thank you for looking!

The reason why I want to use the compiler is, that I made an excel sheet, within which I can define and document the different options for the program download. A macro then creates the corresponding source code and downloads it via the compiler to the PICAXE.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The PE version works correctly, but the compiler version does not like comments on the same line as the #define

We'll update this in the next release, but for now when using the compiler version instead of using

Code:
#define my_define  ; comment on same line
use
Code:
#define my_define  
; comment on next line