Datalogging and storage problem

Jamikazi

Hi, I'm having a bit of difficulty with my A-Level Technology Project, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I'm currently trying to make a transfer system, initially between two Pic 18Xs, and then between one of those 18Xs and a computer, preferably Excel.

I've been using a Pic 18X system which is connected to a 24LC256 EEPROM to save the data, and I can do that bit fine. However, when it comes to transfering data between the 18Xs, or between the 18X and the computer I've drawn a blank.

I've tried a few things, namely the system described on the latter pages of the third instruction manuel (Serial connection to the computer). However I can't get the interface to work. Plus, I still haven't any idea on the other part of the system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If there are any specifics that you need to know then I'll try and find them out, but this is my first real foray into the world of PICAXE, and even my teachers haven't a clue what to do!

Thanks

vttom

and then between one of those 18Xs and a computer, preferably Excel.
FYI - Getting data from a serial port directly into Excel is very difficult unless you know a lot about VBA programming. You may find you need to go through a Terminal program (e.g. Hyperterminal, which is included with MS Windows), save the data to a file, and then import it into Excel.

MFB

Everything you need to know for your project is covered (including SelmaDAQ code) in the 18X based "Instrumentation for Model Rocketry" article in the January 2009 issue of Nuts & Volts magazine. Can be downloaded for a small fee from www.nutsvolts.com

moxhamj

I'll second the comment about selmadaq. (or third it).

But it isn't hard to put something into excel either. Read those instructables and you will see how to store data in a text file. That might look like
data1
data2
data3

To put it into excel, save the file as a .csv instead of .txt, and put it as
data1,data2,data3
data4,data5,data6

ie commas between each entry and then <CR><LF> between each line (which a print to a file does automatically).

If you want some quick and simple tutes on inter picaxe comms, scroll through Stan's site: http://www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz/

Jamikazi

Thanks a lot, I'm sure these will all be of great help. I'll get back to you in a month or two to tell you how it went. Thanks again :)