Database Error

Lately I have been having trouble accessing the picaxe forum with Google chrome reporting a "Database Error". It doesn't happen every time, just enough to be annoying. I was wondering if anyone else had been having this error? From the amount of times I have received it I would think it is happening to everyone but the lack of posts about it leaves me wondering if it is just me. Last time it happened I tried opening the site in IE9 and it came up with a page not found. I know its not my internet because I can open any other page at the same time no problems at all. Something for technical to look at?
picaxe site.jpg

martinn

I have been having the same problem with both IE and Firefox, so I guess it is on the Picaxe server end!

martin

Paix

A few questions: What time of day? I noticed that the other morning 04.29 local 03.29 UTC I was having a lot of difficulty, but got the impression of a limited service, perhaps consistent with a database being backed up but trying also to serve users in a restricted way.

@Technical/Hippy, What time does the forum database get backed up?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The specific error shown should normally only occur for a minute or so after the entire server is restarted following upgrades, as this morning. It arises when the website has restarted running but the database engine hasn't caught up, which takes a few seconds more to initialise.

The backup occurs in the UK early morning, time and duration can vary. As is is a VPS (cloud based 'virtual' server) both the database dump and the entire server image are cloned and backed up.

I haven't noticed any specific time but it comes back if you go away and come back 5 mins later which would confirm technical's reasoning.

martinn

If it is of interest, it happened for about 3-4 minutes at 7:30pm Australian eastern summer time (10 minutes ago) - whatever that translates to in the UK!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are updating vBulletin today to the latest patch version (4.1.7) so there will be times when the forum is offline.

westaust55

Saw the same message that nickab12 attached about Server the down for updating today at about 17:15 to 17:30 hrs local time. That would be aorund 9:15am to 9:30am GMT.

westaust55

From the vBulletin forum the update from 4.1.6 to 4.1.7 has some changed phrases.

The occurence of the "$BBuserinfo [username]" in messages suggests that a phrase that has been updated.

There is need to check for updated phrases after an upgrade and correct the phrases in the language pack one use in accordance with the changes in the Master Language.
Most of the people that do translation packs can't have a new version ready at the same time as the upgrade is released and end users need to install it and update the phrases that are new or have been changed.
If the Master Language is used it won't be any problem. The Master Language is changed during upgrade. But the other languages need to be manually updated.
It can also apply to the default English if you have customised the phrase and also to phrases used by addons if they happen to rely on a variable in them (i.e. $xxxxx).

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The occurence of the "$BBuserinfo [username]" in messages suggests that a phrase that has been updated.
This was likely a result of logging in whilst the forum software was being updated and should not be a problem now that update has completed.

If there are problems, and the forum is not being updated, then let us know.

papaof2

It is correct now. However all other unread posts became read when i logged out and back in to test it.
The forum appears to ues a timestamp for marking messages read instead of some per message indicator. In the previous version of the forum software, all messages prior to logout (or some timeout) were marked as "read", whether they were or not. The timeout could also happen when entering a lengthy message or reply.

Haven't seen the timeout during message entry in this version (yet).

John