Data transfer between Picaxes?

jopooze

For my electronics project I require the ability to transfer data between Picaxe IC's wirelessly to one main hub IC. The data will be generated from individual iButton logs. I have researched into a selection of methods and components such as possible bluetooth however none seem particularly effective. Any recommendations on possible components and ways to transfer the data is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any replies.

BeanieBots

...I have researched into a selection of methods and components such as possible bluetooth however none seem particularly effective....
It would help if you could describe what you have found and why you feel it to be ineffective.
What sort of range do you need?
What data rate do you require?

I too would recommend the modules linked to by Jim (ERF/URF).
Bluetooth and/or Xbee are another very simple to use system but each method has its strengths and limitations which is why we need to understand your requirements to be able to make an informed suggestion.

jopooze

For now my project it only really needs to be put together as a concept. Range only needs to be a small distance to get from one side of a class room to the other. I am going to be using the data logger iButtons in order to store the time of which one was detected however I'm not too sure how that works as I've not received one yet. That time data is what I need to transfer along with the ID and reader in which detected the iButton.

BESQUEUT

For now my project it only really needs to be put together as a concept. Range only needs to be a small distance to get from one side of a class room to the other. I am going to be using the data logger iButtons in order to store the time of which one was detected however I'm not too sure how that works as I've not received one yet. That time data is what I need to transfer along with the ID and reader in which detected the iButton.
ERF is a good choice specially when bidirectionnal is needed. 433 Mhz radio are enought to do that.
But you will need more transmiters.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
ERF modules would be my recommendation. These are bidirectional links so the hub can tell the remote station that data sent has been received, and vice-versa. You can also use a URF or SRF dongle on a PC to send and receive data which can be useful for debugging and getting things working.

Bluetooth or WiFi modules may also be usable but may be harder to get working.

erco

Plain old IR is cheap and pretty reliable across a room for a proof of concept model. You can send data byte by byte using IROUT and Sony codes, if you can live with 0-127. Total cost for 2 IR LEDs and receivers is a dollar or two.

Last edited: