Could they realy program picaxe?

laterriere

Hi everybody
Found that on ebay.
They claim that it will program every picaxe.
if this is true, looks lake a deal, it uses ZIF sockets
What do you think
laterriere

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

You do not give a link to what you saw. :confused:

Yes saw (much) the same things on Ebay yesterday.
Seems like it should program any PICAXE. has the serial connector and seems to have the necessary resistors.
Mind you that is all it is intended to do - not intended that you use it as the base board for a project as you would a Rev Ed starter board.

moxhamj

I'm sure they can program picaxes.

It depends on your style of programming. Say you connect your picaxe to a temperature sensor and you are debugging the code and it isn't working properly. I find it is terribly convenient to know what is going on each line of code - and that sometimes involves putting a debug statement in between each line.

The style of programming this board would encourage is to program the chip, move to another board, find it doesn't work, take it out, reprogram it etc. You don't know as much about why it didn't work (unless the code is very simple, or you have a display etc).

Further, the more times you take the chip out of the other board, the more likely to damage it, and to prevent that you really need a ZIF on your other board as well. So it gets a bit expensive.

My personal preference is to pay 45c and put a programming socket on each board I build. And pay another 6c for the two resistors.

But yes, I'm sure this product can program all picaxes.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'm with Dr_Acula; it all depends on what you want and want to do. I find it's so much easier to program and use the PICAXE in-circuit, not having to keep moving the PICAXE about with all the risk of damage or forgetting to turn off ( or on ) power.

In my experience, not having in-circuit programming, having to remove a chip, take it to a programmer, program it, take it back, see what happens, repeat, is the easiest way to take away any notion of Rapid Application Development which is what the PICAXE is ideally suited to and the fastest way to take the fun out of programming.

The cost of a couple of resistors and a jack socket added to every board is a small price to pay for the ease of use it brings, and you'll need the jack socket anyway to make use of DEBUG or SERTXD.

ZIF sockets are nice in theory but if there's not a ZIF socket on the board you have to keep taking the PICAXE from that can still damage the chip legs. One thing I don't see ( though they may be there ) are the required resonators for the 28, 28A, 28X and 40X.

As an alternative there's the Rev-Ed PICAXE Experimenter Kit AXE090 ( assembly required ) which isn't ( at UK prices ) much more expensive than this programmer, possibly cheaper as it includes breadboard, download cable, a PICAXE-18X and a lot more. Also available with a USB cable as AXE090U. And, of course, as an official product comes with Rev-Ed support.

Last edited:

Dippy

I agree with Drac, why bother? Espeialy whe DIY is so cheap. If this were Dragon's Den then "I'm out".

It looks very home-made i.e. no ident and that cheap old brown board stuff.
(I don't mean that in a mocking way, I'm sure it is fine... but I wonder what the Technical Support and Warranty are like? Probably about the same as Andrew and his LEDs :) :) )

It probably works, but 5 components and a few ZIFs aren't exactly rocket science.

Or is it something of yours that you are floggng laterriere ?

Andrew Cowan

If I didn't know better (which I don't), I would say Dippy has lots of shares in ebay's rivals (farnell, rev-ed etc) :).

A

BeanieBots

Do the sums.
Cost of in-circuit programming ~50c
Cost of "programmer board" ~$30

That means AT LEAST SIXTY projects before it's worthwhile financially and that doesn't take into account the 'hassle factor' described earlier.

Yes, PROBABLY will program all PICAXE, but simply not worth it.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Nothing wrong with eBay providing one knows where one stands and what the rules of the game are. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to have the impression and perpetuate it that eBay is something it is not, consider it to always be no different to online shopping from a commercial manufacturer or seller.

Try as eBay and other online auctions might, they can never ensure everything being sold is above board, is or works as claimed, is of safe or merchantable quality, or the seller isn't a sink-hole for your PayPal money to go into.

I buy a fair amount of stuff at car boot / garage sales and have some absolute bargains but I have also bought stuff which has only been fit for the bin. I usually don't ask if something works because I've found most people will simply lie if it doesn't, and if they'll do that to your face then they'll have even less hesitation when selling anonymously from a distance. If they are selling something dirt-cheap, claiming it works but doesn't, and it can be fixed then the last laugh is on them, but that's not always the case. Be prepared to have been ripped-off, don't expect any come-back.

With a reputable company, properly constituted, run and controlled by legislation, there are protections against all of those things which eBay and private sellers simply cannot offer. There's no harm in mentioning that, and, particularly as this is a Rev-Ed run and paid for forum, no harm in suggesting or promoting Rev-Ed alternatives.

And, how many eBay sellers offer good customer support and forums ? They often sell cheap by avoiding those overheads, but then purchasers come here and to other forums for that support and help which can end up as taking everyone else for a ride. It's a simple point of principle to support those who strive to do a good job compared to those who simply foist issues off to others.

Wrenow

My personal preference is to pay 45c and put a programming socket on each board I build. And pay another 6c for the two resistors. [/quote said:
Even cheaper to make a socket to dip header adapter, or a dip-header type programming cable and then just have a 3 pin header. I prefer this for versions of things that are subject to weather and corrosion considerations, then conformal coat everything. Yes, that is t\he warship combat speaking, but it applies equally to bicycle turn signals, well-lump monitors, weather stations, etc. You can even key the plugs with Futabe style servo connectors if you want

Now, if the board had a take-off to the breadboard for all the pins, might be handy.

Cheers,

Wreno.

Dippy

Yes, if that board had a pile of LEDs , push-button and expansion sockets it would be handy for prototyping. And an optional 5V reg ext power connection for prolonged fiddling too of course. And a socket for a temp sensor and EEPROM would be good. Oh and a Pot. as well for ADC work.

LizzieB

I sure hope new member laterriere didn't sign up on here to promote his own auction LOL

Looking at the seller's other auctions it appears he's in the business of selling magic boxes powered by a "famous microcontroller" so I would guess this device is intended more for production programming rather than prototyping.

(I prefer a pin header too.)