Convrt Basic ......

WHITEKNUCKLES

Thought to try the "Convert Basic to Assembler" again on the recently downloaded 5.1.5. with programmer on.

Window appears
Error: 53 File not found

Clicked OK

Window appears

Following compiler path is invalid....
C:\program files\......\....\wstamp16.exe

Two downloads on each of two computers with similar results.

What are we doing wrong?

Dave

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Have you checked to see if the file does exist ?

C:\Program Files\Programming Editor\PicProg\Wstamp16.exe

Which OS are you using ?

Programming Editor error messages are not always absolutely correct. What you're seeing does not necessarily mean that Wstamp16.exe was not found or doesn't exist and it doesn't help pinpoint where the error is.

Does your filename have any spaces in it or longer than 8 characters ?
Is it in a directory with a name with spaces in it or longer than 8 characters ?

WHITEKNUCKLES

My program name is 8 characters the folder name has 7 characters, neither with spaces, the folder is on my desktop.

C:\Program Files\Programming Editor\PicProg\Wstamp16 is shown as a rectangle when I Browse with no .EXE

Right click ....then Properties

Type of file: Application
Description: WSTAMP16
Size: 119KB
Attributes.......... ............ Tick Archive

In the Editor with a 5 line program showing, the results are as above.

XP SP2

Dave

Last edited:

lbenson

My wstamp.exe on the path you show is 119K. Are you sure your Windows Explorer view shows the filetype? If it does, and it's missing, you might rename it as wstamp.exe and try again. In my properties window it shows the filename as wstamp.exe, the "description" as wstamp, the size as 122,816 bytes, and the "size on disk" as 122,880. If those numbers match your file, but you're missing the "exe", I would rename it.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The missing .exe probably is just the way Explorer is configured, 119KB seems close enough to what it should be ( mines 122,816 as well ). The rectangle rather than any graphic icon is probably because it's a 16-bit application.

You could try saving the file temporarily in the root directory C:\xyzzy.bas and seeing if Convert to Assembler gives a better / different result then.

WHITEKNUCKLES

Thank you Gentlemen,

In Explore (wrongly referred to earlier as Browse, dd) ...... Properties
Rename WSTAMP16.EXE

Window opens fleetingly, I think it read

Pause while Windows configures ......

Convert Basic ...... now works on my computer.

Your help much appreciated

Dave

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
How odd, but you seem to have solved it. It may be worth uninstalling the Programming Editor on one PC, checking Wstamp16.exe is gone, re-installing again and seeing if it does then have the required extension.

WHITEKNUCKLES

Even more interesting, the other computer (a considerable distance away) has not been corrected after taking the same action.
Both are Acer and of similar specification but my friend has no need for that facility, using the Editor manly to point out my lack of programming style and help me get more into 08Ms. When I use bigger Picaxe chips he recons I just have more memory to jump about in; nice chap though.

Again my thanks

Dave

Last edited: