Connecting USB wireless keyboard to Picaxe

Lobobo

Please, Help connecting USB wireless keyboard to Picaxe. I found drawings and codes for PS/2 keyboard connection, but I would like to use USB one, expecially wireless Im interested in. Could proffesionals help a novice with this issue with drawings and programming code please if it's possible. :confused:

Thank you guys for your answers.

Last edited:

slurp

Would a USB - PS/2 adaptor allow you to make the connection?

These are not very expensive and might do the trick without getting into USB protocalls. I'm not sure if the Keyboards can generally switch or if it requires a "suitable" keyboard for the adaptor.

Best regards,
Colin

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If it's a genunie USB-to-PS/2 interface it should work but a lot of those green 'dongles' ( such as for USB mice ) were not proper USB-to-PS/2 interfaces and only worked with whatever they were bundled with; the mouse was USB or PS/2, the dongle simply configured the mouse differently and allowed it to be plugged in to a PS/2 socket.

Without a USB-to-PS/2 interface there is no way to connect a USB keyboard to a PICAXE, the PICAXE ( like most other microcontrollers ) cannot act as a USB host.

alband

If your prepared to open up this wireless keyboard, lots more options become available.
You could swap the wireless chip with one of your own, put a PICAXE in there, maybe a chip from a PS/2 keyboard.

MPep

Lobobo,

The USB-PS/2 converter connector shown above has simple wires between connectors.
These only work with keyboards that say that they can work with USB or PS/2.
If the keyboard you have is strictly USB only, it cannot work.

It is not a dongle, the internal interface chip detects what is connected to it at the other end.