Connecting picaxe 18X with transceiver

sunburnt63

I am using the picaxe 18X and a transceiver to send wireless data. I am new to the whole microcontroller scene, and I get bogged down in datasheets a lot. I am more or less looking for someone to point me in the right direction as to how to connect the microcontroller to the transceiver, and I can probably figure out the detailed points from the data sheet. Any help is appreciated, and here is the transceiver datasheet:

http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/nordic-nRF2401A-datasheet.pdf

eclectic

I am using the picaxe 18X and a transceiver to send wireless data. I am new to the whole microcontroller scene, and I get bogged down in datasheets a lot. I am more or less looking for someone to point me in the right direction as to how to connect the microcontroller to the transceiver, and I can probably figure out the detailed points from the data sheet. Any help is appreciated, and here is the transceiver datasheet:

http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/nordic-nRF2401A-datasheet.pdf
1. You've now got three threads open.
Did you sort out the first one, re. the accelerometer?

2. Your first line says "I am using".
Have you actually produced a PCB for the Nordic device?
Or, have you actually connected one?

They look very very small.
e

sunburnt63

I have resolved the situation with the accelerometer, the information on that thread was very helpful.

Here is my current situation. I have the picaxe 18X and the transceiver I am hoping to connect to it. I would like to transmit data to an identical transceiver that would connect to a project board via a UART. The transceiver is already on a breakout board so that I have headers pins to the following signals:

VSS (GND)
DATA
CLK1
DR1
CS
CE
VCC

This is the data sheet for the board:
http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/spark-fun-umirf-datasheet.pdf

and this is the data sheet for the transceiver on the board:
http://www.robotshop.ca/PDF/umirf-nRF2401A-datasheet.pdf

Sorry if I have been a bit short on information. I am new to the forum, and was hasty to post. Thanks again for any and all help!

ciseco

Hi,

After a 60 second glance, CE wants to go to an output on the 18x, as does CS

DR1 to an input

DATA1/CLK are your serial interface pins (see 18x manual) not qute the same as TX/RX UART

I get the feeling in me bones you maybe hoping to squirt serial data in from your 18x and "UART" connect a second onto your? (PC maybe). If so I really suspect you have bought the wrong equipment for your experience level (blunt I know) as the two are a little different. This isn't going to be a 5 minute job.

What data do you hope to send back and forth? Is 40 bits enough (shockburst) or are you intending to use direct mode?

Don't let me put you off, if you've got a few months spare, getting that baby working on a picaxe would be a worth a round of applause, if not, file in a drawer and buy something that can be driven serially. Easiest thing to use at 2.4Ghz is an xbee or there's plenty of posts on here about 433Mhz kit by manuka and drac, they'll be able to assist.

Miles
________
vaporite solo

Last edited:

manuka

I tend to agree-successful wireless datacomms tends to favour a "start simply" approach. Grab some of the US$5 433 MHz cheapies first!

sunburnt63

I am trying to send very simple data across the wireless link. I am monitoring a pushbutton and want to send data via the wireless link to let the receiver know when the button is pressed and when it is not. I was hoping to have the receiver connect to another microcontroller and have that microcontroller display data onto an LCD. The second microcontroller is part of a development board I have worked with before, so I feel somewhat comfortable taking data in from the receiver, but because of my limited experience with this different system, I feel lost on the transmit end.

I will check out these simpler wireless links, any more info on which would be good for my goals above would be appreciated. Everything has been helpful, especially the blunt facts. Cheers!

sunburnt63

I noticed that the some of the X1/X2 picaxe's have SPI connectivity. Would these make it easier to connect to the transceivers I mentioned previously?

sunburnt63

I feel like I'm posting too much, but I was looking over the Xbee and I don't really understand the difference between the breakout board I have, and the breakout boards I see for the Xbee modules. How is the communication between a microcontroller and the Xbee accomplished, versus what I am trying to do currently? I believe you when you say it would be simpler, but I would like to understand why. Thanks again!

ciseco

Hi,

I'll talk about what I know best, I'm sure manuka will tell you of the relative merits of "the cheapies". You can then decide if either are for you.

The XBee you can talk to serially very easily with a picaxe using somethink akin to SEROUT "some text". Here's some silly code a user generated the other day in some training, it demonstrates how easy things can be to start with. At the other end, this is how complex you can easily get. http://www.openkontrol.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=General+Purpose+Sensor

Code:
start:

symbol BAUD=T4800_4 'baud rate for comms (either set xbee to run at 4.8k or double picaxe speed using setfreq m8)
setfreq m8
symbol XBEEdataoutPIN=4'output 4 is used to send data to the XBee
symbol XBEEdatainPIN=7'input 7 is used to recieve data from the XBee

'power up xbee

high 7'take XBee RESET pin high
high XBEEdataoutPIN'take XBee DATA IN pin high
high 6'take XBee SLEEP pin high

main:

high 5'turn on board relay on
high portc 1'turn onboard led on
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("Relay and LED on")

pause 1000

low 5'turn on board relay off
low portc 1'turn onboard led off
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("Relay and LED off")

pause 1000

goto main
With an XBee most things by default are sorted for you, the message either arrives or not, it's by far the easiest and most reliable thing to use from my experience.

Your question of SPI, yep, you'll need it for those modules you have. I think you have answered what was in my mind last night "does the 18x support SPI".

Miles
________
buy solo vaporizer

Last edited:

MFB

I agree with the above comments about starting simple. The following link outlines the complexity associated with using the Nordic type chips: www.diyembedded.com.

Although most code is in 'C' there is also a BASCOM Basic example.

ciseco

MFB what a good find, the bascom example could be reworked into something useful.

Not for the beginner as you suggest, with you there 100 & 1% :)

I know dippy takes paid work, he'd be up for it ;)

Miles
________
Kawasaki KR350

Last edited:

Dippy

No thanks.
Besides someone has already done a nice job.

Sunburnt , take the advice re: an easier route.
You sound like a newbie, so I fear that you may bite off more than you can chew.

Quick, cursory glances at these Data Sheets can give you the false impression that you can make an XBee look-alike for a couple of quid in a couple of hours. No chance.
Though, I have to say, a quick, cursory glance gives me the impression that it is easier than some other devices.

Will you be doing your own PCB?
Good luck ;)