confusion over variables

davidwf

Hi, I am using a 18M2 and am confused over "what" variables I can use... e.g.

'w0 = (also b0,b1)
'w1 = (also b2,b3)
'w2 = (also b4,b5)
'w3 = (also b6,b7)
'w4 = (also b8,b9)
'w5 = (also b10/b11)
'w6 = (also b12,b13)

are there any others I can use ?

rq3

'w0 = (also b0,b1)
'w1 = (also b2,b3)
'w2 = (also b4,b5)
'w3 = (also b6,b7)
'w4 = (also b8,b9)
'w5 = (also b10/b11)
'w6 = (also b12,b13)

Go here and scroll down to westaust55's most excellent data map:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?11514-PICAXE-Memory-Map-and-SFR-Details-Chart/page3

To directly answer your question, there are w0 through w13, and their associated bytes and bits. There are also special functions s_w0 through as much as s_w7 (chip dependent).

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
A quick look at the right handside 'Code Explorer' in PE6 will always show which variables are available for the currently selected chip.

darb1972

Go here and scroll down to westaust55's most excellent data map:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?11514-PICAXE-Memory-Map-and-SFR-Details-Chart/page3

To directly answer your question, there are w0 through w13, and their associated bytes and bits. There are also special functions s_w0 through as much as s_w7 (chip dependent).
Hello rq3

Thanks for that link. It is an excellent map and as always, the work from Westy is greatly appreciated. In my opinion, despite searching (or even knowing to try and search) for such resources is often a hit and miss affair. I honestly think that such valuable resources deserve a permanent message board of their own so others can more easily sift through the wealth of knowledge and research left behind by others. All too often these golden nuggets of information end up buried within the thousands of posts every year. If you miss it, it is likely you mightn't find it again. When I do find them I immediately download them into a PICAXE based resource folder on my laptop.

I hope the Forum Moderators will give serious consideration to the creation of a permanent message board for valuable resources such as this map. I for one would be forever grateful if I could simply search a relevant message board first, prior to sifting through general message boards.

Hippy, Technical, what do you think about that idea?

Regards,
Brad

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I hope the Forum Moderators will give serious consideration to the creation of a permanent message board for valuable resources such as this map.
One of the Finished Project sections is probably the best place to put such things. Westaust55 often puts his stuff in Finished Project - Miscellaneous.

darb1972

One of the Finished Project sections is probably the best place to put such things. Westaust55 often puts his stuff in Finished Project - Miscellaneous.
Hi Hippy

I did notice that Westy is fairly consistent with that sort of thing, but others tend to sprinkle resources all over the place. Is it possible to create a dedicated message board for such items? I personally think it's worth consideration not only for ease of finding the resources, but, then the said resources are responsible for answering many questions and reducing the overall burden on the forum (and experienced members/technical staff, such as yourself). In my opinion I think it would be a real BIG time saver for all concerned.

inglewoodpete

'w0 = (also b0,b1)
etc. etc.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Manual 2 - Basic Commands. Variables are discussed in the section titled "Variables - General" on page 13.