Confused about IR Remotes

saunj

The manual says only a particular remote with code 212 works with INFRAIN2, but all 3 of my Sony remotes work when set to control a TV. I don't know what codes they use. Besides, in the US at least, all codes are 4 digits, and none in a long list I have ends in 212.
When an IR signal is received, my IR module (recycled) generates an interrupt, the first line of the routine is INFRAIN2. This command completes by the end of the first burst. The interrupt routine sets a flag for the main program, which re-enables the interrupt after using the infra variable.
I needed to design and make a "Watchdog" circuit to reset the Picaxe (a 18X) because the environment also has non-Sony remotes, which cause a timeout when INFRAIN2 hangs.

Later:
I took the trouble to use a second picaxe, a 14M, to handle the infrared, and had the same results. Finally, I changed the IR module to one made by Sony, and now the device works consistently with a cheap Sony replacement-type remote using the default code for sony.
I don't know why this should make a difference. I thought these modules just demodulated the optical signal in a dumb way. The first one i used was taken from a dud ZIP drive. The output looked OK on an oscilloscope.

Last edited:

Michael 2727

Where did you find the "212" reference ?, which manual, page, etc ?

Infrain2 should work with any IR remote that uses the SONY
protocol and is a TV or multifunction set as TV remote.

saunj

Page ref

Where did you find the "212" reference ?, which manual, page, etc ?

Infrain2 should work with any IR remote that uses the SONY
protocol and is a TV or multifunction set as TV remote.
Basic Commands Manual page 29 "infrain"

Rickharris

Having read through the manual a downloaded from the top of this page infrain isn't on page 29, it starts about page 77ish and as Michael says states any remotes using sony infra red control protocol SIRC.

There are several threads in the forum dealing with the need to interrupt the routine if no signal received have a search and have a liok at Hippys web pages where he covers IR control in many aspects very well. (see links above)

Michael 2727

I have the same .pdf version as Rick, vintage May 2007.
The "212" may be in an earlier or later version, but that
is beside the point really. Any remote that uses the SONY,
TV protocol should work.
(some non-SONY protocols are, 15 or 17 or 21 bit. )

I'm still unsure exactly what answer you you are looking for ?
Does the IR part, code and or device do what you want ?
Are you asking for help with the interrupt part ?
Or were you asking about other types of IR remotes in general ?
I'm getting old and need a little push to get me going :)

Wrenow

Saunj,

As I understand it: The "212" is a setting code for that particular remote unit to put it in Sony TV mode. Any other brand will use whatever code it wants to set to Sony TV mode - I have seen no rhyme nor reason in those codes, but have made no particular study, so the "212 code" has no relevance whatsoever to them. The 212 code has nothing to do with the Picaxe directly.

As for the "watchdog circuit" to protect against other remotes causing a hang, I am thinking this is a software issue for you, not hardware.

Cheers,

Wreno

saunj

I solved my problems with the IR remote

I got consistent and correct codes from the PICAXE when I changed the IR receiver module. Why, I cannot understand, since the module only converts the IR pulses into voltage, and both modules gave outputs which looked alike on the oscilloscope. For what it's worth, the new module was actually made by Sony and was in an assortment from Electronic Goldmine. The remote is also a Sony - a RM-V202 "universal" from Wal*Mart.

MPep

Some of the IR receiver modules actually demodulate the IR signal into Logic understandable code.
Maybe the unit you used decoded it into a format that did not make sense to the receiving PICAXE?

boriz

“I changed the IR module to one made by Sony, and now the device works consistently with a cheap Sony replacement-type remote using the default code for sony. I don't know why this should make a difference.”

Maybe the difference is the modulation frequency. TX and RX must match.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
212 is the 'Sony code' for the TVR010 remote we sell (e.g. as part of the AXE040 upgrade pack). Other brands will have different codes.
www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/tvr010.pdf

The receiver must also demodulate the signal (remove the carrier waveform), not just change the voltage levels.