confirm test of axe027 cable.

emuller

I think I might have damaged my axe027 cable or installation.
Can I just get someone to confirm that the following test should work, on a normally functioning and installed axe027 cable?

from axepad
options>usbsetup
The following USB Serial Devisces existg on this computer -
/dv/tty.usbserial-0000101D

then again from axepad:
options>High (then measure V across serin-gnd - 3.9 V)
options>Low (then measure V across serin-gnd - 0.1 V)

I gather this suggests that installation is ok.

BUT.
connecting the serin to serout. -i.e putting a jumper across the collar and ring, and then typing "hello" into the "output buffer" in the terminal, does return any response in the input buffer, which I thought should happen.

Can I just get a quick confirmation that I have this part, at least, correct?
thanks to all.

emuller

Thanks hippy.
In the interests of not having to purchase a whole new axe027 cable every time I inadvertently wire up my boards incorrectly, I notice that the serial axe028 is much, much cheaper - after reading around on some posts, I gather that it's probably possible to connect this serial cable to my mac, using the USB010 - but the product description and setup information for the USB010 doesn't fill me with confidence that this device would work on a mac.
are there any ways to use the axe028 on a mac via the usb010 or other (carefully selected) usb-to-serial converter, or is my only option to bite the bullet and pay up for the axe027, and just be more careful next time?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The AXE028 is cheaper but if it has to be used with a USB010 or an equivalent you've effectivly replicated another AXE027 which probably isn't any more immune from damage than an AXE027 would be. The AXE027 is our recommended USB-to-serial cable because it is proven to work with Windows, Linux and Mac.