Circuit help

sreedev

Hi,
I am totally new to electronics and Picaxe. I have a 28X1 starter pack with me which always gives me an error that no hardware is found on com port. So I am planning to set up a program download circuit on a breadboard. But I do not know how to go about it. Please someone post a circuit diagram and breadboard layout of the same. Please do add the capacitor in the circuit for reducing the noise from the com port.
Thanks

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Page 35 of "PICAXE Manual 1 - Getting Started" shows the minimum circuit for using a 28-pin PICAXE. The resonator does not need to be added for a 28X1.

A 100nF capacitor can be connected between 5V and 0V but is not always absolutely essential.

If the 28X1 has been damaged by a reversed voltage ( as I recall has been previously reported ) it may not work any better on a breadboard than it does in a starter pack board.

eclectic

Thanks for the reply. I got a new chip and still things are not working.
Where did you buy the chip from?

The 28X1 is not made any more. (wrong info) See post #5

Is it a 28X1 or just a PIC16F886?

Added.
Can you post a high-quality photograph of your
starter pack?

e

Last edited:

Goeytex

@sreedev

Several times you have been asked some important questions from people trying to help you, questions allow folks to diagnose your problem or to understand what you actually have, how it is connected, and why it may not be working properly. Yet you seldom answer the questions. Why?

If you want to get your problem solved then I kindly suggest that you do your part and answer the question that are asked. That being said, Please answer the following:

1. Where did your Starter Kit come from ? ( Provide a link)
2. Where did your Picaxe 28x1 Chips Come from ? ( Provide a link(s))
3. Do you have a digital multimeter ? Can you use it ?
4. What are you using for a power supply for the Starter Kit.
a) Battery Pack? What voltage?
b) Wall adapter? What voltage?​
5. Do you have a Digital Camera?
a). If yes then please take a clear close-up photo of your Starter Kit (including the power supply / battery pack)
... and post it here so that we can look at it to see what might be wrong.​
6. What modifications have you made to the starter kit ?
7. Have you run the serial port test in the Program Editor?
a) What voltage did you read?​
8. You were asked to do a hard reset. Did you?

If you will take the time to answer each of these questions then you may get your problem solved.

sreedev

@sreedev

Several times you have been asked some important questions from people trying to help you, questions allow folks to diagnose your problem or to understand what you actually have, how it is connected, and why it may not be working properly. Yet you seldom answer the questions. Why?

If you want to get your problem solved then I kindly suggest that you do your part and answer the question that are asked. That being said, Please answer the following:

1. Where did your Starter Kit come from ? ( Provide a link)
2. Where did your Picaxe 28x1 Chips Come from ? ( Provide a link(s))
3. Do you have a digital multimeter ? Can you use it ?
4. What are you using for a power supply for the Starter Kit.
a) Battery Pack? What voltage?
b) Wall adapter? What voltage?​
5. Do you have a Digital Camera?
a). If yes then please take a clear close-up photo of your Starter Kit (including the power supply / battery pack)
... and post it here so that we can look at it to see what might be wrong.​
6. What modifications have you made to the starter kit ?
7. Have you run the serial port test in the Program Editor?
a) What voltage did you read?​
8. You were asked to do a hard reset. Did you?

If you will take the time to answer each of these questions then you may get your problem solved.
Okay, so here are the answers:

1. The kit came from hobby2go(http://www.hobby2go.com/shopping/details/40500/800/picaxe/picaxe-28x1-starter-pack-no-cable-axe001.html), the site is the only official delaer of picaxe in India.

2. My picaxe chip came with the starter pack.

3. I have a digital multimeter and can use it.

4. I power it from 3xAA 4.5V or 5V regulated from a 9V cell.

5. I do not have a digi cam, but I have an 8 mp phone.

6. At present, the kit is as I received it. I haven't made any modifications.

7. Passed both serial port test and loop back test.

8.Did a hard reset.