Choosing Picaxe sockets

cpedw

I was looking for sockets for 8 pin picaxe projects. All being well, there should only be a handful of insertion/removals before a project is satisfactorily completed. Alright, let's say 20 times as a worst case. Browsing the Rapid shop, there is a small but bewildering choice of sockets:
£5 for 60 http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/DIL-Sockets/DIL-(Dual-in-line)-Turned-pin-sockets/82699
£0.06 http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/DIL-Sockets/Low-profile-DIL-IC-sockets/63772
£0.16 http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/DIL-Sockets/Low-profile-turned-pin-DIL-sockets/63764

I know already that I won't be choosing the £5 version - 60 will keep me supplied for 2 lifetimes - but what's to choose between the others?
Derek

Andrew Cowan

The turned pin ones are the only ones that fit in breadboards.
The turned pin ones make a harder grip on the chip (hard to remove it).

I use turned pin for breadboards, and the other kind for PCBs. Best of both worlds.

A

Dippy

Well, everyone will have a preference.
Either type fit in my (UK made) breadboards.

I use turned pin in boards that might get rough use. More reliable grip (assuming you buy quality of course!)

On most average/test boards I used the standard cheapie leaf type.

Mikroelktronika use the standard cheapie leaf type on their dev boards and I've done more in-and-outs than a French Politician.

Questions like these can run and run as everyone will have a mines-fine opinion.
Personally I'd get good cheap ones. Aries/Harwin/Tyco/Multicomp and RS 'Own Brand' all seem good. I'm sure they're all fine when purchased from a reputable supplier.

I would suggest you make sure they are end-stackable - then you can make up longer DIP sockets.
Also, note that most/all turned pin types allow you to solder top'n'bottom should you ever make double sided boards.

slurp

I would suggest you make sure they are end-stackable - then you can make up longer DIP sockets.
I like that point, not one I'd considered before. Most of my sockets came in a bundle years ago, I've cut some down for sensor sockets and smaller ICs. I'll keep the end-stackable in mind for when I re-stock.

regards,
Colin

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There's no real answer as noted. Turned pins shouldn't fall apart but you pay a premium for that. Leaf design may be just as good but you'll never know. I've used leaf design and have had numerous insertions and removals without problem but I also had one of the same batch which failed on first removal; tore the leaf out.

On the practical side - it can be harder to fit or remove IC's in turned pin if you don't have a decent leg straightner.

On end-stackable - there are also turned pin SIL socket strips which can be cut to size. Just make sure they are soldered vertical; use a proper socket / chip in the SIL to get them standing right and solder the far end pins first.

Dippy

"it can be harder to fit or remove IC's in turned pin if you don't have a decent leg straightner"

Mmm... this is where a bit of trial and error (experience) counts.

Some makes of leaf-type socket have the body shape such that when you press the chip in then there is little or no gap between chip and socket.
These can be a bitch on tight boards and you will almost certainly bend the ic legs.

All the turned pin types I have ever used have a little gap, so careful stuffing-in with a jeweller's type screwdriver can remove the chip easily without leg bending.
So, best not to get too worried about that and check before you buy.

Tip1: if possible don't put other components too close to the ends of the i.c. sockets. leave some space to insert some kind of blade like a 1.5mm Jewelller's scredriver.

Tip2: Buy a leg straightner.

Anyway, as this is going to go on forever I'll bow out.

manuka

"French politician", "leg straightener" - who said electronics is boring. Let's see if you can slip in something about " MP moat cleaning expenses" as well Dippy!

I too prefer leaf types in soldered projects (by which design stage the IC should be rarely removed anyway),& well recall the grip of turned machine sockets refusing to let IC pins go. To me the main benefit of this type indeed is that top side soldering becomes possible. LIF (low insertion force) & ZIF (zero insertion force) types of course may appeal for the well heeled.

For the impressionable,who increasingly may be under the illusion that this forum is a coded front for subversives, I should point out that direct breadboard insertion of DIP ICs allows "socketless" setups. The breadboard itself (typically selling here in NZ for just ~US$2) becomes the socket. You want pictures with that? See my 7 yo. resource site => www.picaxe.orconhosting.net.nz . Parallels with wayward politicians abound...

Last edited:

Dippy

Haha. Not sure about 'subversives' maybe breadboard fettishists? :)
Possibley a little excessive for 8 pin socketing on a PCB?
But at least we've had another view of the pictures ;)

I've run out of innuendoes for dodgey politicians.

I bought a pair of those things too Andrew. Mine were yellow. Mixed results. Maybe yellow ones are weaker. On 'easy' sockets they were OK, but twisted on 'stiffer' sockets, especially if stretching over a 40x0.6 i.c. Good value though. Mine are in the back of a drawer somewhere now.
Pukka robust extractors can be very pricey, so I'll carry on with screwdriver.

PS. Stan, when I clicked your link to Orcon my Norton Safe Web popped up with 62 warnings about that site.
Not sure if this 'report' link will work.
http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=orconhosting.net.nz
I've never seen a Norton report like this before. I'm sure most of it is irrel but worth a look-see maybe?

Andrew Cowan

Mine were yellow too.

I've never used them on more than 28 pin ICs - even at that it is a bit of a stretch.

Excellent on 8, 14, 18, 20 and maybe 28 pin ICs.

manuka

Dippy: That report is not for my site, but instead someone with a pukka type name. Orcon is a large NZ ISP (now govt.owned!), that when private offered free hosting under simple domain names for Kiwi's in the know. Stan.

AlC

Ha, I use just a small screwdriver for IC removal, applied alternating from both sides. (Old-fashioned!)
(and normally I use the cheapest type of socket I can find, not the expensive type with round pinholes)

I like the point with stackability for creating makeshift higher pin count sockets...