CD4026 display 1 to 9

DanielH

Hi guys

Is there a way to have the CD4026 not display a "0" when reset? so it shows 1 through 9 and not 0 through 9.

Thanks
Daniel

Technoman

Hi,

After a look at the internal logic diagram of the CD 4026, the answer is no. Although, it is certainly possible to send a pulse on the clock input, just after the reset. You might not notice the brief display of 0.

Is your chip being directly driven by a micro controller?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The CD4026 has a 'display enable in', which when held low will blank the display. It would be possible to hold that pin low until the display has been reset and clocked from zero to one.

DanielH

Thanks guys, i should have said im actually only trying to do it in logic as a simple display so no picaxe yet. There is a carry over output that might eventually be connected to a picaxe to record each rollover though..

The display blanking pin is used already unfortunately to time out the display after a few seconds so it saves power..

I was thinking i could use some combination of the outputs when "0" is displayed to quickly clock to a displayed "1" but ill have to keep trying..

Thanks again
Daniel

Technoman

Just an idea while seating in a waiting room... May be you fortunately found a solution since the last post.

I don't know what sort of signal is going into the counting input...
In the circuit attached down here, it should be set to 1 by default.

circuit diagram.jpg

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

... to me, there is the problem: the CD4093 is a 14-pin chip that will require mounting and wiring. It makes a PICAXE 08M2 so attractive. Yes, it can be argued that the PICAXE (or any microcontroller) has a software development overhead but breadboarding and designing a hardware-only solution does too.

@Technoman, the CD4093 is a favourite of mine too.

Technoman

@inglewoodpete

Using a micro controller is now really simple ; it was not the case in the past with chips of previous generation, not including a reset and a clock circuitry.

Still between the CD4093 and a 08M2 there is an eight fold price ratio (checked at my local dealer). But, this is a quick solution to consider.