Casio graphical calculator -PICAXE linking

manuka

News in the lateral thinking Kiwi corner. Initial Casio FX-9750G to Picaxe links were made by Andrew "Brightspark" in 2006 with this NZ senior schools standard graphical (& programmable) "calculator", but another Kiwi (Michael) has just informed me of his update => www.nexusresearchgroup.com/technical_data/casio.htm . These graphical Casio's are thick on the ground in most western high schools of course, & motivated students already are pretty capable with them.

It's Friday eve here I don't have a unit handy to confirm, so YMMV, but it looks worth a follow up. Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Thanks for that information Manuka.

While I may not be about to connect a calculator to my PICAXE, it is always of interest to see what others are doing.

yamato

Great for simple inloco datalogging retrieval, and surely cheaper then that refurbished Psion and Revo PDA's on ebay and UK online stores.

slurp

Great for simple inloco datalogging retrieval, and surely cheaper then that refurbished Psion and Revo PDA's on ebay and UK online stores.
Looks like the 9750G is priced arounf £50-60 where as there's a 7400G priced about £35... this appears to have a similar programming function and PC (picaxe!) interface.

regards,
Colin

ylp88

I have a 9850GB PLUS from high school - it is a great calculator (modded to 64K memory from 32K, of course!). A friend and I used to sell calculator-to-calculator and calculator-to-PC cables for a fraction of the price one would have to pay for a Casio one (how Casio/resellers justified selling the latter for $100+ is beyond me since I could make one for less than $10).

Unfortunately, the local school (and at least a few others) have switched to a black and white model which supports USB. Graphing and text display is a lot faster, however I found that colour was quite advantageous and would prefer my 9850GB PLUS over the newer model.

Certainly these projects are something I will be looking into when I can find the time.

ylp88

Mycroft2152

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the TI-83 graphing calculator is the school's choice. The TI and Casio are basically the same calculator with all the bells and whistles, just made by two different companies.

I xchecked my grimoire and found a link to a company that has been selling robot kits that use the TI-83 as the "brains" since 2000.

http://www.smallrobot.com/scimath.html

Myc

manuka

What a nice robot! Casio graphical FX models are only about ½ the price of these TI offerings however.

Extra: Any Oz. educators able to enlighten- I guess these Casio's are as popular across the pond in senior secondary school use too? I may write a SiChip article to suit if so. Stan

tiny

Many schools in South Australia use the Casio.

I have had on the back burner to connect the picaxe to the data logger (EA 200 I think) that can connect to the casio calc. It has both digital and analog interface.

I look forward to SIChip article on the subject.

bye
tiny

fe

CASI the Casio controlled robot

I have been using the Casio 9750 with my students at High School and decided to hook it up with the Picaxe:
http://www.nexusresearchgroup.com/technical_data/casio.htm

Also managed to throw together CASI, the autonomous robot that can be controlled with the arrow keys on the Casio via 433MHz RF link.

Casio graphics calculator communication protocol, Casio Basic guide and CASI construction details available from the Nexus link in this post.

I'm currently researching how sensor systems can be used at Primary and Secondary level, in Science and Maths classes, to encourage higher level thinking and problem solving. I also get the chance to link Picaxe sensors to interactive games as well as robotics.

Lots of Picaxe projects have been showing up over the years in our local Science Fair. A Casio data logger should provide more opportunities to take the monotony out of data collection and graphing with more emphasis on analysis and decision making.

Hope this stimulates others to have a go; students, teachers or the plain curious...

Mike

http://www.nexusresearchgroup.com
for chemistry, biology and physics experiments to use with the picaxe/casio data logger

Attachments

higgeh

great idea guys im seriously impressed. Im working on a couple of robots at the moment and after seeing this i think a datalogger is going to be in line

Thanks for the info.