Cant get multiple 4511 working together

airton65

Hi

I have built a circuit on prototype board using a PICAXE 14M coupled to 2: 4511's using the data lines as per diagram in the manual, the 4511's are connected to the data lines in parallel. I then use outputs 4 and 5 of the PICAXE for the LE pins on the 4511's. In my program I use the "let pins = b1" comand to send data to the 4511's. I try to make outputs 4 and 5 control the tens and units seven segment displays. The circuit works at counting from 0 to 9 but because the "letpins" command controls the whole port I have no control over outputs 4 and 5. Apart from writing subroutines for each digit I can't seem to come up with a simple solution. My question is, is there a simpler way??

Thanks
Tony

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

A simple way is to add in the respective bit for the units or tens digits.

Output 4 is for the units digit, so when you have the value in b0, then
add in a bit for output 4 as b0 = b0 OR $10 ; = %00010000

and for output 5 as the tens digit, the same concept with
b0 = b0 OR $20 ; = %00100000

Edit:

just thinking, you should have the outputs 4 and 5 normally high and bring them low to turn on the respective output to drive a 7-seg display
in this case,
output 4 as b0 = b0 AND $EF ; = %11101111
output 5 as b0 = b0 AND $DF ; = %11011111

Last edited:

airton65

Thanks for the response

Hi Westaust55
I will give your idea a go however last night as I was rereading one of the manauls I came across the advanced use of the 14M PICAXE. I have just reprogramed using the portc command and changing the 2 latching ouputs to portc.
Fingers crossed it seems to be working but I will have a closer look at both ways after work.
Thank again
Tony