Can't download program; Can't update firmware

ajahajah

Hi all, I'm using the latest programming editor v5.2.5. I followed the tutorial code which set high 4 and low 4 each time for PICAXE-08M. However, whenever I tried to download the program to the chip, it keeps saying Hardware not found on Com 1. I tried all the suggestions given but it is no use. I even tried to update firmware and it gave the same error.
I did have a successful attempt yesterday and it was the same method. But now, it cannot work again and I cant get the program downloaded to the chip!
By the way, I am using PICAXE 08 proto board which uses serial cable. I tested it using a multi meter and it is ok, I also tried to test my COM 1.
It should still work somehow after downloading less than 100 times.
Please help.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please work through the serial download check list in part 1 of the manual. Also as the proto board is a self assembly kit check your soldering and power supply (4.5V from 3xAA cells).

ajahajah

Yes I did. In fact, it managed to work yesterday and I got the sample program in. But now, I wanted to change the code there is download error.
When I use the 3xAA cells, I connected an LED to pin 4 and it still lights up simultaneously.
Are there anyone else who has the same problem with PICAXE-08M?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
As the downloading was working but has now stopped, it would be worth trying with a new set of 3xAA battery cells.

It may also be worth while trying a Hard Reset with your new batteries if it does not work first time. Disconnect the supply, initiate a download, when the pop-up shows "Connecting to hardware..." reconnect the supply.

westaust55

ajahajah,

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

Is your serial cable an AXE026 (DB9 connector) or AXE027 (USB connector) :confused:

If you have the USB cable disconnected from the PC when you first start the Programming Editor, it will not find the USB chipset and defaults to COM1. You may need to reset to the correct COM port

Last edited: