Can I control 16 leds with a PICAXE-28 Project Board

coparu67

Can I control 16 leds with a PICAXE-28 Project Board (Axe020)?
Actually, I'd like to control 8 dc motors with external drivers.

Thx

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If that's the AXE020 project board then it should be possible. The chip supports more than 16 I/O pins and the "in" and "ADC" pins can be used as outputs; that should allow control of 16 LED's or 8 motors with two control lines each.

coparu67

I'd like to use porB to control 4 motors with external dirvers. But I think I have not direct conecctios to PICAXE B pins (Axe020).
It is necesary to use a L923D driver?

oracacle

You can do 16 LEDs with 8 pins. You can remove the Darlington array and bridge across with some wires pushed into the dil socket to get direct access to the port.

Depends, what are you planning to to with the motors. Going only one, then leave the darling driver and use that to drive the motors. going both way then you will need some sort of H bridge. Personally I've moved to TB6612FNG for my DC motors needs

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'd like to use porB to control 4 motors with external dirvers. But I think I have not direct conecctios to PICAXE B pins (Axe020).
I thought there was a row of holes between the PICAXE chip and the UL2803A Darlington Array which could have header pins fitted or soldered to but I may be wrong.

Alternatively you can solder direct to the PICAXE Port B pads underneath the board or replace the ULN2903A with straight-across jumpers or an 8 resistor zero-ohm DIL package to bring the Port B to the Output header pins.

Or leave the ULN2803A in place and add pull-ups on its outputs to make the outputs high and low rather than open-collector.

It is necesary to use a L923D driver?
No, you can use any motor driver which suits your needs.

inglewoodpete

I thought there was a row of holes between the PICAXE chip and the UL2803A Darlington Array which could have header pins fitted or soldered to but I may be wrong.
The data sheet for AXE020 Version 3.0 04/2010 suggests that the more recent revision of the PCB does have provision for an in-line header between 28-pin socket and the ULN2803A. However, I wouldn't bet my life on it!