cable for serial oled module

pleiser

I recently ordered the axe133y serial oled module only to find there is no way to connect to a breadboard, stripboard, ect
where do you get this kind of cable (it called it servo extension lead cable). I searched techsupplies with no results.
where would you find it
Patrick

Hydroid

Connecting OLED to breadboards

Patrick,

I have a couple of those OLED modules as well. Instead of using the headers they provided, I used female headers instead - that way my breadboard jumper wires fit the header and I can connect it to my breadboard (Photo attached). I also used a section 5 long for the other header as seen in the photo. Works great.

I bought a bunch of the headers off of eBay and cut them to the size I need. I see your in California. I often order from a place in CA that has a nicer version of what I got off of eBay. Not sure how close you are, but it's a starting point: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SIP-30/30-PIN-HI-REL-SIP-SOCKET-0.1-CTRS-SNAPPABLE/1.html . They're the same headers that are used on the AXE-091 development board I have and a quite nice.

If you've already soldered on the supplied three pin connector, then you could just buy some breadboard jumper wires that are male on one end (to fit breadboard) and female on the other (to fit OLED). I've seen them on various sites referred to as Dupont Wires. If you go that route, make sure you buy the correct ones as there are many varieties (Male-Male, Male-Female, Female-Female, and the same in ribbons wires).

If you really want to use a servo lead, then find a hobby store that deals in radio controlled cars or planes. They should sell servo lead extensions. You would just have to cut off one end, strip and tin the three wires for use on your breadboard. The other end will fit the three pin header perfectly. Watch how you attach it so you get the 0V, V+ and IN correct.

Regards, John.

OLED.JPG

Last edited:

srnet

where do you get this kind of cable (it called it servo extension lead cable). I searched techsupplies with no results.
where would you find it
Patrick
Search on EBay for 'Servo Lead'.

About £1 for 5 delivered, various lengths.

inglewoodpete

My choice would be to use "Polarized Headers". They prevent you plugging the lead into the jack the wrong way around.

Look for "Polarized Header Connectors", "Polarized Header Shells", "Male Polarized Headers" or ""Polarized Headers". They're very cheap and should be available from most hobby electronics stores (although I don't think Radio Shack have them in the US). They're just a bit fiddly to assemble for the beginner but we all have to start somewhere!

john2051

@Inglewoodpete
Hi, by polarised connectors, do you mean the molex type connectors similar to which tech sells asd the alternative to
3.5mm download socket?
Techs part number is con038, I get through dozens of these!

Best regards john