C++ books guides etc

rmeldo

C++ primer plus. Brilliant book

C++ primer plus. Brilliant book

I think this book is great. Very complete and yet very clear.

There might be more than one with this title from various authors. Let me know if you want the ISBN and tonight at Home I will dig it out for you.

If also you are after learning Object Oriented Programming I have a few recommendations as well.

Riccardo

krypton_john

Drifting even slightly further off the PICAXE topic, can anyone recommend a good book or site to get me started on PIC/Amtel development with C/C++? Sometimes it would be handy to have the extra number crunching and string handling capabilities.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Best bet for asking about C programming PIC or Atmel is on forums dedicated to those micros; people there will know what's available and have experience of using it.

C++ is quite different to C though based upon it. There may be C++ implementations for micros but I would have thought it mostly suited to those with large RAM.

krypton_john

C++ is quite different to C though based upon it. There may be C++ implementations for micros but I would have thought it mostly suited to those with large RAM.
Really? I have always considered it an object extension to C. Most of it is otherwise the same isn't it? If I recall correctly for Microsoft and GNU it's even the same compiler

papaof2

The Microsoft C++ compiler will also accept C, but not the reverse.

C++ has some nice features, but many of the "bells and whistles" need a lot of memory - which micros usually don't have.

John

BrendanP

Thanks guys, I thought initially to go to a dedicated C++ site but then as I have a lot of respect for the regulars here I tried here first as I knew I'd get good advice even though its not picaxe.