Blown chi035 board and pull down resistors for pins c6 and c7

satrapus

Blown chi035 board

In my infinite ignorance to do with all electronic things I've managed to blow something up on my chi035 board after less than a day of playing with it.:(
As a result pins b1 b2 and b3 are reading 2.9v on multimeter when they should be 0.
I'm not entirely sure but I have a sneaky suspicion that the puff of smoke and bang I caused with a misplaced wire is to blame.
Is this board destined for the bin or can I salvage it? Everything else on it seems to work just fine.

Despite this temporary drawback my enthusiasm and determination for finishing my project remain intact.

Thanks

Last edited:

nick12ab

Have you determined whether it is the PICAXE or board that is damaged?

Where did the smoke come from?

Test the transistors using wire, both on board and by using the transistor array on breadboard.

satrapus

Good thinking Nick!
I bought a spare board and chip knowing how dire my skills are.
Sure enough it's the chip that's kicked the bucket and not the board.
This all happened as I was trying to test various parts of my project using the chi035 as a breadboard of sorts.
One wire shipped out and shorted the blasted thing.

I have now soldered some connectors into the pins so hopefully the last chip I have will last more than a day.

premelec

You can save yourself a lot of trouble using current limited power sources - many more mistakes allowed without dire consequences - I know... :)