Blocky comments???

TYKE

Is there a facility to put comments onto a blocky page? I want to leave a comment for the future but at the moment I'm having to put notes into a basic code block.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Comment block is top block in advanced section.

If you can't see it update your software to the latest version.

Technoman

It is actually a Basic block in which you insert a semi colon before a comment.

To be more readable, what about the capability to add a comment beside the blocks like in the flowchart mode.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It is actually a Basic block in which you insert a semi colon before a comment.

To be more readable, what about the capability to add a comment beside the blocks like in the flowchart mode.
It sounds like you may have an older version of Blockly. Later versions provide a comment block which can be used how you suggest.

If you right-click on a block there is also an option to Add Comment to the block.

Technoman

I use the 6.0.8.6.

Comment block is top block in advanced section.
The only one I see is the Basic block at this place... :confused:

If you right-click on a block there is also an option to Add Comment to the block.
Ok I get it. A question mark is added and a comment could be linked to it. Thanks.

Technoman

I don't get it. The top block is still the Basic one.

Is there an option somewhere which may disable the comment block.

AxeHacker

Odd, I see Comment as the first block in my Advanced toolbox. However, personally I think the Right click -> Add Comment is the way to go, because the comment stays with your block regardless of where it is moved... though there are use cases where you might want to be able to have a disassociated comment.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't get it. The top block is still the Basic one.

Is there an option somewhere which may disable the comment block.
No. What Blockly core version is displayed (that is the 1.0.8 (in the grey bar top right of Blockly) in our screenshot above).

Technoman

It is the 1.0.1 :eek:

The Blockly core has to be updated separately? Not done when you update PE?

PE updating.PNG The revision history note is confirming the updating. So, what could be wrong?
Should I reinstall PE?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Blockly within PE6 should upgrade with new releases of PE6 and that worked for me when I tried it; PE6 6.0.8.3 installed Blockly 1.0.4, then installing PE6 6.0.8.6 took Blockly up to 1.0.8.

It would be worth uninstalling PE6 before re-installing the latest to see if that resolves the issue.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Make sure File>Options>Diagnostics>Blockly path box is empty, we suspect you may be pointing to an old beta test version?