Beginner question: Multi LED Displays

_RicH_

Hi, I've been introduced to picaxe and it looks very interesting, but I need some advice on the best way to use a PIC chip to run 6x 16-segment and 11x 7-segment LED displays.

Basicly the display will be split into 3 sections that are always connected to a PC; 1 section shows the current date/time (taken from the connected PC if possible) the other 2 sections will show a user-inputed date/time.

Looking around, it seems the best way to run this many displays would be to use a MAXIM chip (like the max6954?) but if anybody has any suggestions for this let me know. Am I right in thinking i could connect 3 of these to 1 PIC to run all the displays?

Also, is it possible for the PIC chip to be fed constant data from a PC whilst its running? so its always checking for what to display?

Thanks!

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

You may want to give some additional details as explanation on how you are conencting these up.

You say:
"I've been introduced to picaxe"
then you mention
"the best way to use a PIC chip"
then you say
"the display will be split into 3 sections that are always connected to a PC"

Exactly what will be driving the display?
PICAXE chip, straight PIC chip or a PC? :confused:

More description or a schematic diagram or even a block diagram may help

_RicH_

Sorry I guess that is a bit unclear,

I dont even know myself really, what would you recommend to a beginner?

What I want to make is a mini version of this http://www.bttfhardware.com/
(probably without the keypad) that is attatched to a PC and can be set by it.

I dont have any of the parts for it at the moment untill I'm sure of what I need, so I guess i'm just looking for the most idiot-proof way of making this work!

papaof2

Most idiot-proof solution - that's difficult, as idiots are so creative ;-)

A MUCH easier (and probably cheaper) solution for a "mini version" would be to use LCD displays instead of LEDs.

A 4 line by 20 character (4x20) display for each row of the original display would provide space for the captions ("Month", "Year"), the date/time, and the designation ("Destination").

Each display can be driven by a serial->LCD driver chip and a PICAXE 28X1 could provide the interface - including a keypad if you want it. For a few dollars more, you can add a realtime clock chip and make the unit self-contained.

You do give up the original LED colors when using LCD displays, but some searching should find LCD displays with white, blue, green, or yellow backlight. Pick the colors you prefer...

This is probably not a beginner project, unless you have a LOT of patience and motivation.

Estimated cost would be $100-$200US, depending on how good you are at bargain hunting (and knowing how to use that "bargain" display ;-) or whether you choose to use items from Rev-Ed and other major vendors.

John

_RicH_

Hmm, I really wanted the 'LED look' to it.

i know its probably not a beginners project, but I do patience and motivation for it!

And as long as it doesnt cost me more then £80 then I'll be happy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

_RicH_

I think I might try and get a sample MAX6955, and borrow a picaxe chip to have a play around with - should be interesting even if I cant get it working :D