baud rates

Natalie Wilkie

Hi All,

Can someone please confirm for me what are the baud rates are for the different chips. M, X and X1,

The manual doesn’t clearly state what they are. (Or is it just me?)

On page 141 (section2) it says that 4800 baud rate is only available on the X parts. Does that mean that’s the fastest the X chips will run, and what about the M chips what speeds will they run at?

Also the X1, on page 61 (section2) mentions rates up to 115200, does that mean it is capable of this?

Thanks
Nat

manuka

In general all the 14 PICAXE chips just have slow 2400 bps serial I/O, & for many purposes this is quite enough.

I'll let someone more in touch with them mention the X1/X2 offerings, but the popular 08/14/20Ms allow 4800bps by double clocking the CPU.when their default SERTXD 4800bps then becomes 9600bps What is your application & budget? In fact I often expend more effort S L O W I N G things down for irksome wireless data links!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Code:
      .----------------.----------------.----------------.----------------.
      |      2400      |      4800      |      9600      |      19200     |
      |                |                |                |                |
08    |   SEROUT 4MHz  |                |                |                |
08M   |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 8MHz  | * SERTXD 8MHz  |                |
14M   |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 8MHz  |                |
20M   |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 8MHz  |                |
18X   |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 8MHz  |                |
28X1  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 8MHz  |  SEROUT 16MHz  |
40X1  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 4MHz  |   SEROUT 8MHz  |  SEROUT 16MHz  |
      `----------------^----------------^----------------^----------------'
(*) Note the 08M can transmit at 9600 baud but only by using SERTXD at 8MHz. The 08M cannot receive at 9600 baud.

The 28X1 and 40X1 can use higher and non-standard baud rates by using HSEROUT and HSERIN.

BCJKiwi

Three different serial comms types available;

serrxd/sertxd - used on the 'programming' pins only Manual2 page143/146. - Limited speeds available dependent on clock speed.

serin/serout - General serial comms on any in/out pin Manual2 page 140/144 - More speeds available, still dependent on clock speed.

hsersetup/hserin/hserout - specific pins on 28X1,2/40X1,2 Manual2 Page 63/61/62. Wide speed range to 115200 Baud. Independent of clock speed. Also has timeout which overcomes potential 'hang' if comms fails.

Last edited:

Natalie Wilkie

Thanks everyone for a response. The reason i want to know is that i have a project coming up and just wanted to what they are and i didn't think it was very clear in the manual.

Thanks
Nat