BAT004HSM Battery Clip

Brian M

Asked this question via PicAXE.com support yesterday, but as yet, no reply.

The BAT004HSM battery clip is advertised to enable battery back up for the RTC when used on the AXE091 development board. There is however, no information (easily available) that I can find to show how this is best fixed to the underside of the development board.

From what I can surmise, the "waxy red strip" on the underside of the board is removed to reveal three pads. These pads would appear to have a coating on them, but I am reluctant to try and remove the coatings to reveal what is actually underneath.

Having purchased the clip and needing the back-up facility on the dev board, I am asking if anyone knows the correct method of fixing the clip (screws/solder). If screws, what size ? machine or self tapping ?

Anyone fitted this already ?

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It's a surface mount part (that's what the SM at the end of the order code means) which means it is designed to solder onto the pads, which are indeed revealed by pulling off the red protective layer (this layer keeps the pads clean during manufacture and storage). There is no other layer to remove.

There is nothing else to prepare - once the red protective layer is removed solder the part in position directly on the PCB (two tabs either side) - its easy to do with a conventional soldering iron as the connector is so large - however make sure the connector is getting hot enough (takes a bit longer than normal to heat up due to its physical size).

Brian M

Thanks for the information Technical. Yes, I'd worked out that it was a surface mount fitting, just don't want to damage the dev board (think it actually says so in the description on the shop site, but doesn't give the fitting information on either the dev board data sheet, or included with the item description). I've always used the PCB holders in the past, but the board designers obviously intended to use the clip.

One further question, are the white coated pads conductive, because the centre contact of the three will just be a pressure contact on the cell, or do I need to put a small coating of solder on that contact as well ?

Don't like to be critical, but finding information out on the site at times, seems to involve a lot of swapping from section to section. Co-ordination of links could do with looking at.

MartinM57 - Thanks for that link, must say, that's a better alternative IMO than the BAT004HSM, but not quite suited to the AXE091 board design.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You don't need to do anything else, the centre contact is just a pressure contact. You could solder it if you wanted to, no harm in that, but that is not generally required.

You seem to be confused by the white looking pads - this is simply a more modern silver (chemical) based pad finish, as opposed to the silver (colour) 'tinned' look. However it is completely identical from a hand soldering/conductivity point of view.

Brian M

Thanks. Try "Careful" instead of confused, not got round to checking them out with the multimeter.

Might be an idea to expand the information on Page 7 of the AXE091 datasheet.

Worked for 40+ years trying to implement system components that design engineers configured on a bench, but never tried to install/commission in the field. Thankfully, I'm now semi retired and only take on what I feel like doing and playing with my "boys toys". That's why I'm playing with PicAXE.

Last edited:

MartinM57

The link I posted wasn't suggesting that as an alternative - I was just showing an example picture of how a SM 2032 cell holder is mounted on a PCB