Bat Repeller

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
getting it right (nice,legible,neat etc.) ain't rocket science. Maybe it is for some?

From some of the sites I've visted, 72 point font, italic, centre justified - often all three together - I think there are indeed some people who really don't have a clue.

As soon as people start dictating how a user will see a site rather than letting the browser decide that for them that's when problems start to build up.

Take http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe for example. I know there are some more links below "Technical Support" on the left, but they don't display in Firefox or IE6 on an 800 x 600 screen.

Such problems are frequently encountered so there is a lot more rocket science to it than people expect. I'm sick to death of encountering pages with images which rely on transparency to be white and there are pleny of corporate logos which do that.

Look at http://www.symbian.com as intended and how Firefox displays it with 'Ignore page colours' with a white on black Windows colour scheme ... IE6 doesn't even manage to render the page properly ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

Symbian..

Looks a lot nicer in IE7.

And with IE7 you zoom graphics as well as text as IE7 deals with image-fonts. My FF won't do that, maybe new one will.
But my FF sometimes errs on pages and does a graphics/text zoom on it's own. Weird. Bit glitchy. Ad I don't like the fact that you can cloe a tab in Firefox when it's not the active Window.

Anyway, I don't to start anything FF vs IE7 as I really don't care much and I use both.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ marcos : Best thing is to go to the site and see. The forum has some major restrictions on image size and file size and it's too much effort to upload them to third-party sites.

eoster

"If you would like advice or assistance on how to deal with bats whilst staying in the law".... that is just hilarious, if the bats are on my "property" I beleive I have the right to deal with them as I please.
But seriously, as beneficial as thw Bats are, it would be better to try and change your wife's attitude.

marcos.placona

that is just hilarious, if the bats are on my "property" I beleive I have the right to deal with them as I please.

Would that mean you can shoot someone who's just trespassed in your property (maybe someone on your garden)?

I think it's very relative, and you can't really take everything into account. If I wanted to get rid of the bats, I could just put some poison and kill it. Although I'm not the kind of people who does that, and I even try to get a mosquito outside instead of killing it.

The bats do bother me sometimes, but as I can't do anything against them, and don't wanna do anything wrong, I'll have to live with them. If they start to really bother me, I'll then contact the official authorities.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
"If you would like advice or assistance on how to deal with bats whilst staying in the law".... that is just hilarious, if the bats are on my "property" I beleive I have the right to deal with them as I please.
You can believe whatever you want but it's what the law says you're allowed to do or not which matters.

papaof2

It's all in how you read the law ;-)

"The use of pest repellers will cause an environment that is hostile to bats and as bats are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it would be illegal to use such products to remove bats from your property.

If you would like advice or assistance on how to deal with bats whilst staying in the law, please visit the Bat Conservation Trust website at www.bats.org.uk or alternatively call the National Bat Helpline on 0845 1300 228"

http://www.diypcs.co.uk/acatalog/pest-control-by-pest.html
A permanently installed repeller would probably fall under that limitation.

However, if you could get the party in question to wear a hat (crown?) with a bat repeller built into it, it's no longer about removing the bats from the property but about protecting a person from wildlife. Logic: You can't build your own rain shelter in a public park but you can use an umbrella.

That should should be fodder for some good arguments ;-)

John

Dippy

As usual we are arguing aout two different issues.
1. Bats roosting on your property.
2. Bats flying onto Marcos's property from afar merely to annoy his missus.

Things are different in different countries, both legally and morally.
In the UK, in addition to hippy's post:
"All bats are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. It is illegal intentionally to kill, injure or take any bat; to disturb roosting bats; or to damage, destroy or obstruct access to any place used by bats for roosting. This applies to householders and to the Council's Pest Control Officers.

Where it is suspected that bats may be roosting the advice of English Nature must be sought before any work is carried out near to the roosting area."

... and further,
"It is necessary to obtain a licence before handling a bat, dead or alive."
- this last bit is news to me, and I would happily pick a bat up to save it from being squashed and risk a higher jail sentence than a murderer. I've been bitten by worse.

So, from this it can be read that there is no legal problem with (non-injurious) repelling of temporary or over-flying visitors, but it would be an offence to repel, harm, kill or impede the passage of bats actually dwelling(roosting) on your property.
It would probably also be an offence if the bats were dwelling near your property and you used a repeller.

As for rabies from a bat. Unless you get bitten by a blood-sucker (no, not a lawyer or acountant), you have b.all chance of getting anything other than a surprise. And why the hell would they fly and bite you anyway. Do you have vampire bats near you Marcos?

So, stop panicking, get a grip, go and wash your car and/or move :)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
That should should be fodder for some good arguments ;-)

True, but it's what the court decides the law says and means not the individual trying to dodge it. It all comes down to how intent is seen by the court.

On the evidence that your crown had scared off bats making a prima facie case that the law protecting bats had been broken ( if it has ) the onus would fall to proving it was necessary and legal to do that, that the intent wasn't to remove the bats but to protect oneself.

Judges and juries aren't stupid and can see cynical attempts to circumvent the law just as the next man can. The law also knows that, which is why it's up to the defendant to prove self-defence, the prosecution only have to prove an offence was committed in the absence of self-defence being proven.

eoster

bats

that is just hilarious, if the bats are on my "property" I beleive I have the right to deal with them as I please.

Would that mean you can shoot someone who's just trespassed in your property (maybe someone on your garden)?

I think it's very relative, and you can't really take everything into account. If I wanted to get rid of the bats, I could just put some poison and kill it. Although I'm not the kind of people who does that, and I even try to get a mosquito outside instead of killing it.

The bats do bother me sometimes, but as I can't do anything against them, and don't wanna do anything wrong, I'll have to live with them. If they start to really bother me, I'll then contact the official authorities.
Man, what leap, I'm talking about dealing with bats and you jump to me killing someone for trespassing. Get a grip!

marcos.placona

I'm not jumping into you killing someone, just exemplifying that things being on your property won't necessarily mean that you have powers to do whatever you please. But I guess you understood that right?

@Dippy I'm not panicking. To be honest, I don't know why people still keep posting on this topic. It's been said that I can't do anything against the bats, and that I can only talk to the authorities in case something strange happens (like one of the lying in on the ground). That's fine, as I said, I'll live with them, and maybe one day I'll even use DR_Ac's feeding procedure, with jelly beans and stuff :D

In the time being, I'll just avoid them and that's it.

Dippy

"I don't know why people still keep posting on this topic"
- that makes two of us, but when a good old argument, sorry, discussion gets brewing it's quite amusing. After all, we DO have the world's leading experts on everything from politics through to law and morals on this Forum.
Off now, the pubs are open for the next 3 weeks.

marcos.placona

If I say "It's been said that I can't do anything against the bats"

It sounds true to me. I (myself) can't do anything, unless I call someone and they'll do it. But I (myself) won't do anything except or calling them right? :D

I'll see what they say if it gets worse

sedeap

bat protection

:eek:...:eek:

Tell your wife...

"honey... I find a solution for your fear"

Works well dealing with rain, bats, mosquitos, flies, etc.

LOL:p

Invention3

Salu2 (regards)