Axe110p

AlbertZ

I just received my new data logger and hooked it up per the instructions. I am using an DS18B20 input sensor and a AXE133 real time display. I also have the AXE034 clock and 24LC256 EEPROM.
I am using PICAXE editor 6.0.7.5
Here is the problem:
I open the editor and select NEW program. Next I open the wizard and check the appropriate boxes and hit close. Nothing happens!!!!
I would expect to see the code generated on the screen, but nothing appears and the OLED display shows the standard greeting. What could I have missed? Should I be able to see the code generated in case I want to hack a custom application?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Wizards place the code on the clipboard. So in PE6 you then need to do Edit>Paste

AlbertZ

One more question:
We will be using the data logger for a science project and would prefer to get a more accurate temperature reading. Can we modify the program to use readtemp12 or would that result in an overflow in the EEPROM?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There are two possibilities; store the raw READTEMP12 readings which will require adjusting the code to ensure there is no overflow when storing words rather than bytes, or convert the readings to a scaled-offset value which will fit into a byte value. For example; a 10C to 41C range can be stored as a 0 to 31 value requiring 5 bits leaving the other 3 bits to store the temperature to a resolution of 1/8th of a degree (0.125C).

AlbertZ

After one successful data logging mission, I am running into problems uploading data from my second mission.

The red light indicates that the memory is full. I plug the cable into the correct data link jack & bring up the data link menu.

First, it looks nothing like the datalink menu screen displayed in the data sheet. I select the sensor to download and 4800 baud, when I hit "new upload" the following displays in the data window:

Address, Temperature

What's wrong? How do I clear the EEPROM?

stevesmythe

I'm working from memory here but I recall having a problem when I chose as "Logging interval" the time from the RTC "(most accurate)". Because my RTC wasn't set properly I think that there was only null data to upload. If you chose RTC as your logging interval timer, you might want to try "pause command" instead and see if the data upload works.

stevesmythe

Incidentally, I think the red light means that the data logging is finished (according to the parameters that you set), not that the memory is full.

I'd try using a very short test - say 10 samples, one per second - using the "pause" command for timing, and see if you can get something to upload.

Last edited:

AlbertZ

Incidentally, I think the red light means that the data logging is finished (according to the parameters that you set), not that the memory is full.

I'd try using a very short test - say 10 samples, one per second - using the "pause" command for timing, and see if you can get something to upload.
Thank you Steve

Yes, you are correct, the red light signals end of mission - Not memory full. The red LED extinguishes when a new datalogging mission is initiated.

I followed your suggestion by generating a test program using the "pause" command and things appear to be working as they should. I'll investigate the AXE034 at a later date. The reason for obtaining this device was to allow middle schoolers to set up and run their own experiments without having to delve too deeply into programming.

Seems to me that the documentation for this gear needs updated.