axe033

jimmy88

is it possible to connect/use the lcd provided in the serial lcd kit axe033 to the hs595 like dr acula circuit or connecting the lcd directly to the microcontroller like its mentioned on manual 3 pages 35-39 and downloading the codes provided in the manual ??
or this lcd only works on the kit as serial or i2c mode ???
because the pins assignment of the lcd mentioned on manual is 1=vss 14=db4
while the provided lcd on the axe033 kit is 1=db7 14=vss

eclectic

Jimmy.

What exactly do you want to do?

It seems pointless breaking up an AXE033,
unless I've read the question wrongly.

e

jimmy88

i want to interface the microcontroller with a parallel lcd
the lcd on axe033 provided seperatly not soldered so is it possible to inteface it like the option 3 in the manual 3 or this type of lcd is just suitable to be connected to the provided pcb that contains firmaware/rtc/battery cell ?

westaust55

AXE033 and parallel LCD connection

Jimmy,

yes you can use the LCD module from the AXE033 without the Serial interface board and connect it directly to your PICAXE or via other devices such as the mentioned 74HC595's.

I think that via the 595's although saving PICAXE output pins, it would involve a reasonable amount of code.

If you are going to conenct directly, then be aware that the manual is in error and the 4 data bits are revsersed. Connection needs to be as per the attached.

But like eclectic, I do ask the question - why do you want to change from an LCD with serial (and i2c capable) interface which requires only 1 output pin to a parallel conenction that requires 6 outputs AND requires more code in your program to operate it. Even the 595 interface approach needs 3 outputs instead of just 1.

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Also, where an AXE033 and other serial LCD's can be controlled by simple SEROUT / SERTXD commands, parallel controlled and 595 buffered displays will require more software control, driver routines plus calls to those routines. That will eat into the code space available plus the number of available GOSUB commands. Numeric data has to be manually formatted taking more code space, adding more GOSUB calls and needing to use variables for that.

There's nothing wrong with a 595 solution, and it's especially suitable when wanting to move from parallel control to gain some extra I/O, not so good when moving from serial unless serial control is still used in the main PICAXE program and the serial to parallel / 595 interface is put on another dedicated PICAXE. Bear in mind that a 595 interface will usually be slower than a parallel interface.

A dedicated PICAXE-based serial to LCD interface ( effectively a home made AXE033 ) could probably use an 08M plus 595 or a 14M plus 595 or parallel drive. The 14M may be a better choice as it can receive at 9600 baud at 8MHz. A 28X1 as an I2C Slave directly driving a parallel LCD would be a nice solution.