AXE027 programming problems

hamtech

Hi all hope someone can help.

When I started using PICAXE chips some months ago I bought an AXE027 lead and used it successfully for some time. Quite recently it has resolutely refused to program any of my project boards which include 8M2, 18M2 and a 20X2 homebrew board. In every case it says cannot find the hardware on the COM Port the usual message it seems.
I have tried the test and the voltage goes high and low as needed. Putting a scope on the Pic Axe is receiving something from thr AXE 027 and is responding with a signal. The PC running windows 7 does not respond and I get the error message hardware not found on com5 (which is where it is). I have selected the correct com port every time.

I have tried the driver, loaded them several times. The paper clip tests works and I receive what I send back in the terminal window from the axe 027.

I have a separate usb serial converter and I have wired a lead up go with that. Using the Prolific USB Serial converter I can program all my chips no problem first time every time but I cannot with the AXE027. It will not and as I say I get the error message about the hardware on the com port. I have noted the comments regarding decoupling capacitors and they are fitted to all my boards, I use a regulated 5v supply and i have tried a battery box too. No good.

The AXE027 does not appear to be fault as the paperclip test works. Could it be levels but on the scope they look OK.(5V)

Help please!!!!!!!!

nick12ab

It's likely that the ground connection of the cable is broken then. Does the PICAXE program if you connect the ground connection to the metal PC case?

hamtech

Hi nick I have tested the earth from the tip to the case of the usb connector and all is ok. i am at a loss to understand why it wont work. As i say the paperclip test is good, the Test in the editor software works, i can see the signal being sent to the pic chip and the pic chip signal in response but the axe 027 or usb software will not work and i get the eror message.
????????

nick12ab

So check the ground connection between the download socket and the PICAXE. When the Serial Out pin is low, it will act as ground but it cannot continue to do this when it goes high. Also a new PICAXE repeatedly sends out a hello message.

hamtech

Hi Nick

The connection is good and ofcourse the thing works with a different USB convertor. The project board is CH1030A bought as part of the initial picaxe purchases.

All of my boards do program with the Prolific USB convertor and th elead I knocked up. This lead is wired the same as the AXE027 in terms of the jack plug obviously the other end goes to a 9 way d type. Any further ideas are welcome.

Steve2381

Might help - might not.... But my Win 7 will not allow my AXE027 and my wireless HP printer to be on at the same time.
No idea why - no apparent conflicts, but if I turn off the printer, all works fine :confused:

hamtech

Nick haven't changed anything. will try on another pc.

Steve i also have a hp wireless officejet printer so its worth a try , i'll give it a go

Thanks both

hamtech

I have tried the axe027 cable on a different PC a netbook running windows 7 too. Initially it worked OK for about 5 mins or so and I couldprogram my boards. After 5 mins it stopped working. Applying the paper clip test on the cable on the netbook and I gor a receive copy in the terminal window but it would not program or read the version from the PICAXE chip in the project board. This is strange as it exhibits the same problem on both PCs. I have run out of ideas.

Anyone got any further thoughts please??

nick12ab

I have tried the axe027 cable on a different PC a netbook running windows 7 too. Initially it worked OK for about 5 mins or so and I couldprogram my boards. After 5 mins it stopped working. Applying the paper clip test on the cable on the netbook and I gor a receive copy in the terminal window but it would not program or read the version from the PICAXE chip in the project board. This is strange as it exhibits the same problem on both PCs. I have run out of ideas.

Anyone got any further thoughts please??
Keep the AXE027 on the netbook and connect the other adaptor to the other computer and see if you can transfer data between the two computers successfully.

MartinM57

My AXE027 works perfectly on Windows 7 (Ultimate 64-bit)...and with a wireless Canon printer near it (and two wifi networks/random wifi laptops/a Blackberry on the wifi and 3G, an iPad on the wifi all in close proximity....)...so maybe it is a bad AXE027 (physical or electronically), but as noted, that is rare

john2051

Hi,

Is the chip in the axe027 an ftdi chip?. If so, there is software to program the chip, and alter things like tx rx inversion etc.
It may also have a diagnostic, worth a try.
Regards john

hamtech

Hohn,

I do believe it is an FTDI chip in the lead I 'll have allok and see whats on their web site.

I remind all that the prolific USB serial converter and the lead I made up works perfectly and has kept me sane. The thing that bugs me is that the paperclip test works OK on both pcs.

I can only put it down to a bad lead (chip) but is that like ly when the damn thing works in a back to back mode. What about levels??

inglewoodpete

I have heard of the internal connection between the cable's wires and the 3.5mm stereo plug breaking. If all else fails, chop off the 3.5mm plug and solder an aftermarket one on.

westaust55

The AXE027 definitely does use an FTDI chip.
See AXE027 datasheet last page - shows the FT232RQ

In summary:
1. Using the "paper clip" test when you send data out from the PC you can see that data back when using a terminal program.
2. A continuity test of the ground between the 3.5mm stereo plug (tip part) and the USB ground tests okay
3. With an oscilloscope you can see signals on both the PICAXE serial in and serial out lines.
4. An alternative (Prolific) USB to 9 pin serial cable plus serial to stereo plug can program the PICAXE chips.
5. In post 9 you used the AXE027 on an alternate PC (Again with Win7) and it worked for 5 mins before not being able to program a PICAXE

Some possible extra tests:
1. Have you tired the paper clip method on the AXE027 without the paper clip (and maybe flex the lead as well) to verify no data is received - this eliminates a possible short between Tx and Rx lines within the AXE027?
2. Have you tried programming and paper clip tests while flexing the AXE027 lead -might identify if there is a broken wire?
3. Do you have access to a computer/laptop with WinXP to try the AXE027? - That it ran for 5 mins on a second Win7 machine before the same symptom does not rule out a Win7 related problem