Axe027 problems (Windows 7)

dotc0m

I installed the drivers for the axe027 cable correctly and had the cable working and programming my 18m2 project board nicely, i have not had it plugged in for around 2 weeks and i have come to program and use it today and when the usb cable is inserted i am not receiving anything from windows 7 to acknowledge the cable has been reinserted. I am inserting it into the same USB slot that i set the drivers for when i originally installed.

I've tried searching the forum and not been able to locate anything of use that is like the problem i am facing.

No changes have been made to the computer, other than automatic windows updates. I am struggling to get this thing working alone and I've tried almost everything i can think of.

Can anyone tell me what the drivers should show up as in device manager so i can remove them and reinstall? that's the only thing i can think of doing at the minute.

stevesmythe

If you go to Control Panel/Device Manager then expand Ports (COM and USB) you should see an entry "AXE027 Picaxe USB (Comx)" where x is the com port assigned.

The bear

Have you tried unplugging your axe027 cable from your PC, then plugging it back in?
I had to do this every trip with win7. Since win10 it as worked perfectly, win10 changed the port I was using.
Good advice on Post above (stevesmythe).
Hair restorer is available!
Regards, Bear..

dotc0m

If you go to Control Panel/Device Manager then expand Ports (COM and USB) you should see an entry "AXE027 Picaxe USB (Comx)" where x is the com port assigned.
Yeah i checked in device manager, it doesn't show at all. Nor does it show in devices like it used to when it worked.

The device now simply isn't being detected by windows and I cannot work out why.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Are there any devices which appear in Device Manager when the AXE027 is plugged in compared to when it isn't ?

Windows can sometimes mistakenly detect an AXE027 ( or any serial device ) as a 'pointing device' and may persist in believing it to be that until un-plugged and re-booted.

It does however sound like the AXE027 is not being detected at all. It would be worth trying a different USB port, re-booting your PC, even powering it off and back on again to see if that helps. It may be worth trying the AXE027 on a laptop or someone else's PC to see if that recognises it being plugged in.

dotc0m

Are there any devices which appear in Device Manager when the AXE027 is plugged in compared to when it isn't ?

Windows can sometimes mistakenly detect an AXE027 ( or any serial device ) as a 'pointing device' and may persist in believing it to be that until un-plugged and re-booted.

It does however sound like the AXE027 is not being detected at all. It would be worth trying a different USB port, re-booting your PC, even powering it off and back on again to see if that helps. It may be worth trying the AXE027 on a laptop or someone else's PC to see if that recognizes it being plugged in.
I tried all of the above, panicking and installing the drivers on a Macbook pro and it didn't work as well as a windows 10 laptop. I tried rebooting and all the other USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports i have on my computer and still nothing.

I have however found the cause of the problem (I think) - the usb input is not forming a connection when i simply just plug it in, i have to bend the input a little downwards to force it connect and power the cable - thus showing it as an available device. I cannot however use this as a solution - the cable is only a month old and has only been used 2 or 3 times. I can't bend over the desk and hold the USB cable in place while my download goes through - that would be ludicrous.

neiltechspec

Strange that you have had no official response on here.

I would suspect a poor soldered joint between the USB connector & PCB inside that lump of molded plastic.

If all else fails, you could carefully cut away the plastic molding and try re-soldering.

I did that with mine, as I felt the cable was a bit like "steel wire rope" & not very flexible. Replaced the cable with something lighter weight
and more flexible then covered the electronic bit with adhesive lined heatshrink. Been that way for several years now.

Neil.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I tried all of the above, panicking and installing the drivers on a Macbook pro and it didn't work as well as a windows 10 laptop. I tried rebooting and all the other USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports i have on my computer and still nothing.

I have however found the cause of the problem (I think) - the usb input is not forming a connection when i simply just plug it in, i have to bend the input a little downwards to force it connect and power the cable - thus showing it as an available device. I cannot however use this as a solution - the cable is only a month old and has only been used 2 or 3 times. I can't bend over the desk and hold the USB cable in place while my download goes through - that would be ludicrous.
If you think the cable has been faulty manufactured then please send it back to us and it will be naturally be tested/replaced under guarantee. However this would be unusual, as in the first post you implied it was originally working fine?