axe 213 problem

pleiser

Hi I made a wireless weather station (forum post here http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?20646-weather-sensor-problem )
and until now I was using debug but I am now trying the axe213 rf boards ( http://www.picaxe.com/docs/AXE213.pdf )and found the transmitter is not working (or at least led is not blinkind when test button pressed and reciver is not reciveing anything) I am getting 5 (4.98) volts on the transmitter +volts and ground pins. On the pins for the transmitter( http://www.picaxe.com/docs/RFA001_TX.pdf ) I am getting 1 (1.03) volts I dont think this is normal because the datasheet says it works from 1.5 to 5 volts.
any ideas how to fix this?

Patrick

Paix

Everybody must be asleep - how unusual :)

Hi Patrick, can we see a picture of your AXE213 TX board and connections please, along with your TX antenna. Let's first track down why the LED isn't blinking and verify the state of the pins at the TX. You managed to mangle what you said (5 volts on the transmitter +volts and ground pins), so I would like you to confirm that there is +5V to the TX and the TX Ground is connected with AXE213 Ground and data source Ground.

Stage by stage.

I take it that the TX and RX are both 433MHz units, and that you have no access to a 433MHz receiver (scanner or amateur radio)?

pleiser

Everybody must be asleep - how unusual :)

Hi Patrick, can we see a picture of your AXE213 TX board and connections please, along with your TX antenna. Let's first track down why the LED isn't blinking and verify the state of the pins at the TX. You managed to mangle what you said (5 volts on the transmitter +volts and ground pins), so I would like you to confirm that there is +5V to the TX and the TX Ground is connected with AXE213 Ground and data source Ground.

Stage by stage.

I take it that the TX and RX are both 433MHz units, and that you have no access to a 433MHz receiver (scanner or amateur radio)?
yes, I think it is 433Mhz transmitter, I got it on techsupplies
the antenna is just approx. 6.8 in 22 gauge wire (is this correct length and wire?)
I made the connections as shown on the axe213 datasheet
the 5 volts is on the +v pin and the ground pin is on, of course ground.
I will attach more photos.
Patrick

Attachments

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The main problem is that your photos are not understandable. If you provide a neat clear schematic of exactly what you have connected where we may be able to assist more.

The AXE213 is normally very reliable, so it is likely you have a wiring mistake somewhere. But we just can't help you more with such unclear photos / wiring. Your BASIC programs would be useful too.

pleiser

details

the shematic for the transmitter is attached(I think this is it anyway ;) )(header goes to upside down transmitter) I am not using any program for the transmitter as I am (for now) just using the test button on the transmitter with no sign it is working. for the reciver I have this sample program
Code:
main:
serin C.3, n2400, b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7 ; read eight bytes of data into b0 to b7
debug	; show the data received in b0 to b7
goto main   ;repeat

Attachments

Last edited:

picnoel

I found I needed to send a "wakeup" string of 0's and 1's, followed by a validation string, then the data.
Provided all your wiring is corect & you have a 4k7 pullup resistor on your temperature sensor... this cost me several hours of hunting when I first started playing!!
Try drawing a diagram first (even on a napkin if you must!), wire your components as per the diagram, check your connections, then re-visit the code you are using. Most problems I've had were self-created & the hardware was fine. :cool:

Transmit code snip.
Code:
	readtemp c.1,b0
	high PWR					'switch radio module on
	nap 6					        'wait 1 second
	serout TXD,BAUD,(85,85,85,85,"ready",b0)	'send data (TX)
	low PWR 					'switch radio module off
Receive code snip.
Code:
	high PWR					'switch radio module on
	nap 6						'wait 1 second
	SerIN [6000],RXD,BAUD,("ready"),b0		'recieve data
	low PWR						'switch radio module off
Hope this helps.

Last edited: