AXE-033 LCD lines missing

gdenehy

Hi,
My LCD has started to miss some lines from its display.
It seems to come and go a bit. One of the lines is always missing, but a few extras above or below it come or go a bit.
It is about the 6th row of pixels from the top.
The first column sometimes fades out too.

I cant see any obvious problems with the board.
Can someone point me in the right place to look for something causing this problem? I presume it is a bad connection...

inglewoodpete

Hi,
My LCD has started to miss some lines from its display.
It seems to come and go a bit. One of the lines is always missing, but a few extras above or below it come or go a bit.
It is about the 6th row of pixels from the top.
The first column sometimes fades out too.

I cant see any obvious problems with the board.
Can someone point me in the right place to look for something causing this problem? I presume it is a bad connection...
I imagine that a problem of that nature suggests that there may have been a manufacturing problem within the display module. The rows and columns of pixels would have soldered or pressfit connections between the on-board controller chip and the actual display.

Depending on the age and condition of the unit (Eg has not been mistreated), you may be able to make a warranty claim through your supplier.

Peter M

Normaly what fails is the contact between the connector strips sandwitched between the circuit board and the back off the glass (tin contacts) on the LCD panel itself.

If it has been dropped this is most likely.

On the axe033 module I have, these connector strips are pink, if you look at the area between the black metal plate (holding the glass down) and the circuit board you can see them. If you look at them from the side of the display they are pink and black.
The black area is carbonised (like the rubber on most remote control buttons these days), these carbonised strips act as contacts between the PCB and the metal contacts on the LCD panel.

Sometimes they are just out of alignment with the contacts on one side or the other, and can be moved back into place.

I've had varying success with these, sometimes you fix 'em, sometimes you just make them worse.

Depends whether your willing to risk making it worse.

Bend the metal tangs underneath the PCB to release the metal frame and carefully lift it away you'll be left with the LCD panel and two of the connector strips....... good luck at realigning them.... just remember you've been warned, you may make it worse.