Astrophotography Intervalometer

GeorgeC47

The interval timer is finished. The use of an LCD makes it so much more user friendly. The length of the exposures can be selected and then each frame has a seconds timer to let you know how far it has got. The left hand button does most of the controlling at the moment. The right hand button alows individual frames to be taken without using the timer. Middle button for future expansion. Now I know what you will say - replaced the hacked Canon IR remote with an IR signal from the picaxe!

GeorgeC47

My other 'hand held' remote started to malfunction and they can only be opened and repaired a limited number of times. It finally packed in this week. I just bought three of those remotes you mentioned - £5.95 and free postage.

Thanks for the tip!

GeorgeC47

The remotes arrived today and work perfectly. I was concerned that they would not have the 2 second delay function, but they do. I can't find a manfacturer's name or any other information on the web.
Now, have I got the nerve to bust one open to see if it can be linked to my intervalometer?

GeorgeC47

I could not resist. The touch key membrane can be easily peeled off and underneath are the contact pads on a PCB. I only need to hook it up when the existing one breaks down so I didn't peel more than half the membrane off. It looks like it should be quite easy to attach some thin wires to the PCB.
What is odd is that the same few suppliers seem to be selling the item on Ebay under various different names and at different prices. I even saw one selling them at £0.99.

eclectic

What is odd is that the same few suppliers seem to be selling the item on Ebay under various different names and at different prices. I even saw one selling them at £0.99.
Yup.
Just found one. 0.99p, including postage.

How can they make any money?

I will never understand economics.

e

GeorgeC47

It got the better of me and I had to do it. Turned out to be much easier than hacking the official Canon remote which is very difficult to put back together again. There is even room in the case to lead the wires out through two small holes drilled in the side.

GeorgeC47

Not for the Canon cameras. For those it sends two bursts of 38KHz. The delay between the bursts differentiates between the two signals.
I do not know about the other camera species.

eclectic

Does that transmit INFRAIN compatible codes?
Sorry for the delay in answering.
I tried the following
Code:
#picaxe 08M

main:
infrain2
sertxd (#infra,cr,lf)
pause 1000
goto main
The program works fine with a "real" Sony remote.

Each of the fifteen buttons produced a signal on the oscilloscope, but
no Sony output. :-(

e