arming brushless motor

tony_g

as in an rc speed control/motor?

my esc in my rc truck will only remain functional as long as a signal is present, being programmable though i have it set to not arm on power up until it sees a valid neutral signal pulse for 2 seconds.

tony

eggdweather

My model aircraft and drone ESC's remain armed indefinitely and as tony_g says, as long as there is a valid (1.0mS) pulse input. The ESC's will not arm until the pulse width has reached 1.0mS which is usually a safety measure, to prevent an initial pulse width of 2.0mS or any other value immediately delivery full power on activation.

My model aircraft and drone ESC's remain armed indefinitely and as tony_g says, as long as there is a valid (1.0mS) pulse input. The ESC's will not arm until the pulse width has reached 1.0mS which is usually a safety measure, to prevent an initial pulse width of 2.0mS or any other value immediately delivery full power on activation.
thnx for info. I actually send speed control from a picaxe pgm. If I return to 1.0 msec will ESC remain armed, or shud I keep it at low speed say 1.1. How critical is the 19 msec delay in sending control data. What happens if is longer?

eggdweather

I have never seen an ESC disarm and most people would never want that, for example and often switching off a motor after a climb so to 1.0mS and then gliding often for many minutes before applying power again. Almost disarming to call it that is done at the Tx end to prevent an inadvertent control input perhaps if the Tx was knocked or dropped and so they usually require two deliberate actions to enable Tx arming and to release the throttle control beyond 1.0mS.
The frame rate varies a lot and on a say 14 channel system can be long at 14x2.0mS so my opinion that is nothing to worry about unless really long, but take an aircraft that goes out of range, then the receiver can hold the output stable then when the signal returns control is resumed which says frame rates are not critical or a function of arming .