anyone built a DTG printer

Hi all this may be a little out of focus for the forum, but i am considering converting a epson A3 printer to DTG (direct to garment) and have been reading on other specialized forums on how to achieve this. Ok so the printer conversion is not the problem and there are enough instructions and help on how to do this with different models, what i do not seem to find is enough information on making the platen that will move the garment. I have found that the best or easiest method is to move the printer instead of the platen and others have achieved this they say by moving the printer via a ballscrew and stepper motor which again is not a problem. The problem is that they say they use the electronics of the printer to directly drive the external stepper has anybody here done anything like this using a picaxe interface or similar.
This is just a shot in dark as i know this forum is not related to the above but with so many members in different fields i am hoping someone has made a dtg in the past that can help me out.