Any experience of GPS6MV1?

Armp

View attachment 14339
I just got one of these. I was planning to start by using the GPS010 sample code - but I'm not sure how compatible it is. It uses a uBLOX 6M module, which seems to be similar to the GPS010. It has a 3.3V regulator allowing Vcc to be 3v to 5v, and an EEPROM for storing data I think. I've done a search but haven't found any code for this specific unit, only 300+ pages of general uBLOX manuals!

Any advice, or pointers to code examples welcomed, just need uBLOX configuration help - I don't need any help with parsing the sentences etc, already done that previously with a Garmin unit.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It seems to be the same or similar module as used in the GPS010. Best thing is to connect up TX ( or RX ? ) through a suitable buffer so you can see what it outputs on a PC terminal emulator.

Armp

That's what I did, Hippy.
It sends out GPRMC, GPVTG, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPGSV, GPGSV, and GPGLL sentences at a rate of 1/sec, 9600Bd.
I would like to cut out some of these, and increase the rep rate.
I guess I'll just try the gps010 code as is, and mod as needed.

Edit: I was surprised that initial lock, indoors on my desk, after being hand carried from Hong Kong - was less than a minute. I'd like to know what the eeprom does?

Thanks

Last edited: