Any differences between a SMT and DIP 28x1 ??

RexLan

I am using the SMT version of the 28x1 and having difficulty with the serial background receive. It works OK using a DIP 28x1 part.

Are there any differences in the two parts ... pin-out, internal working?

RexLan

Yes, they are different. Our original code is working in a field tested ~2 year old version running firmware A2.

The SOIC chip is firmware A3.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I believe the chip hardware should be the same, just packaged differently. According to the 16F886 datasheet I have; DIP, SOIC and SSOP pinouts are identical.

When it comes to firmware it's usually the case that later versions work better than earlier but any change could cause a difference in operation. It's not unknown for a software upgrade to reveal problems in existing code which never exhibited themselves as bugs in the past. Obviously it shouldn't happen, and I'm not saying it has, but new firmware releases shouldn't introduce new problems but it can happen.

Can you give more detail as to what specific issues you are having, perhaps narrow it down to simple example code which works on the DIP A.2 but not on the SMT A.3 version ?

Do you have a DIP A.3 or an SMT A.2 version you could do comparisons with which would help indicate whether it's a related to firmware or related to packaging issue?

RexLan

I am trying to sort it out now and will post up something tomorrow if I can't get it fixed. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of a difference in the packages.

I already had the firmware issue with A1 when it would not hold the code because of the missing 300 bytes or so. That was fixed with A2. I only have A2 chips in the DIP and only 1 SOIC chip. I have had them on order for 5 weeks but had one sample part to work with so I used it.

Like you said, newer firmware versions have always been an improvement for me so I don't really suspect that.

Thanks Hippy