Another OT.....EAGLE Cad

stocky

Anyone here using EAGLE?

If so - can someone point me in the right direction for a generic SO-8 package for a schematic/board????

I can find DIL packages but not SOIC in the library - i'm going nuts!

Stocky

marcos.placona

Stocky, can you believe I was just looking for this 2 minutes ago? Try to search for "ds2*" and you shall find one soic8 there.

Although I ended up using diptrace, which is much easier to use and find things

stocky

Cheers Marcos
Was hoping to find just a *blank* one with no pin info....just like DIP IC package library but for SOIC

hax

Thats the problem with libraries. Who do you trust?

Sparkfun.com have a downloadable Eagle library that they have graciously allowed into the public domain. Some comments on the library show whether the part has been tested on a real board.

marcos.placona

Forget it. There's no such thing in the default libraries. I've gone through all the items.

You can either try to find an external library for that, or try diptrace.

stocky

Eagle has a nice feel - but definately a VERY steep learning curve from Protel for DOS!!!

ONE DAY i might work it out!!

Dippy

"Why reinvent the wheel?"

- 1. well, it's taken over an hour to get a solution and that was only because others happened to see the thread. You could have done your own in 10 minutes. Well, assuming Eagle is as easy as the CADs I use.
- 2. Doing your own means you can have your schematic symbol designed (visually and annotationally) as you like it.

Mycroft2152

There is always a learning curve with a new program. Some electronc's cad programs (EAGLE for one) were oringinally designed in the4 old days opf DOS anfd have some strange command structures.

I''ll second Marcos suggestion for DIPTRACE as very easy to learn and use, It is almost intuitive as it was developed with standard windows command structures. There is a free version too.

One trick is to add the components that you regualrly use to your own personal library. This saves a lot of time. With DIPTRACE, one click will add all the components of your current circuit to a library.

Always check the patterns / footprnts in the library with those on the datasheet for your component. Errors do crop up and each manufacturer can have slight differences.

Myc

Dippy -- 10 minutes! You were milking it.

GBlair

I like Eagle and have tried to make my own parts. It seemed a little cumbersome to me but there is tutorials on line to do it. Have you look on there website for other Libraries?
Click here
They even have one for Picaxe!

stocky

Yeah - looked there as well
Just surprised they have a "generic" set of DIP packages but not SOIC's!
Dont have time right at the moment to learn to draw one - just have to use another chip and ignore the annotations for the time being

evanh

Thanks for the hint about DipTrace. I've just installed it and loving it right out of the box. The first basic task was selecting a component and bam, right there, fast keyboard viewing!, including PCB footprints at full keyboard auto-repeat. Someone knows how to program. :)

Evan

evanh

After a little of really trying to use the schematic editor a bit of a reality check ... That wonderful component selector isn't so perfect on a slower PC, namely me work laptop. And it fails badly by canceling the previous incomplete action with every new input event and restarting with the fresh one. When it gets behind like that it really should just empty the event buffer and use the latest event instead of canceling like that.

The work-around has been to reduce the keyboard repeat rate to 8 cps ... wonder if I can make that targeted to a single app ...

DipTrace is easy to use though, big thumbs up there. The features just work and seem to be the ones needed. And seems very stable also. Very little to complain about glitch wise too, especially since I'm using WINE to run it. :)

The library content is a bit of a mess sadly. But then one can't expect a polished library that is this new and isn't gunning for the big money. It's hard work to make your own ones let alone building parts for everyone else.

Evan

Last edited:

evanh

There is one big boo-boo in the library - all the IDC connectors are missing half their pins in the schematic editor.

EDIT: Oops, hehe, "Parts". That one tripped me up. I can't remember how that was handled in the past. It's been a long time. Maybe I've always fudged it before ... the early days didn't have the coherency between schematic and PCB layout.

Evan

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

There is one big boo-boo in the library - all the IDC connectors are missing half their pins in the schematic editor.

EDIT: Oops, hehe, "Parts". That one tripped me up. I can't remember how that was handled in the past. It's been a long time. Maybe I've always fudged it before ... the early days didn't have the coherency between schematic and PCB layout.

Evan
Evan,

For multiple gates in a chip or section in an IDC connector DIPTRACE uses "Parts".

In the upper left of the screen, there is a check box "Place all Parts" and a parts selector. You caln place individual parts, one at a time, of place all the parts at the same time. I keep the "Place aall Parts" ox checked and then move them around later.

It is easy to miss. :)

DIPTRACE has three different graphic mode drivers, VIEW > Graphic Mode.

Try each of them. The Windows GDI seems to slow down some systems.

It is actually very easy to create your own libraries, or modify the libraries supplied. It is just a lot of detail work to create a full library.

I've just (finally) finshed polishing up "Myc's library" and will post it this weeekend. It is somethig I've been working on for my own use and to be used with home brewed pcbs. It needed some "polishing' to be ready for others to use it.

The Schematic Library uses shape based symbols rather than boxes. IC's look like IC's, transitors like transistors, and LEDs like LEDs. All of the components that are used in the PICAXE Manuals are included in "Myc's Library".

The Patterns (pads) are oversized, so that when there is enough copper left when drilling with a dremel.

There is also a separate Patterns (pads) library, where different length footprints are included (resitors, capacitiors, other passive components). This is handy when trying to fit an compnent in a specific location.

Attached are a couple of examples. (Not the complete libraries).

Myc

Attachments

evanh

Yeah, once I realised what a part is I immediately ticked the place all parts setting.

I do like the enlarged pads, it's an important quality for making good single sided boards.

I'm definitely a functional man for schematics though.

Evan

evanh

I like this one: I was able to drop a couple of independent pins on the schematic. And when I sent the drawing to the PCB it told me it didn't have any footprint for them. So I started trying to work out if there was any connector suitable but there was nothing even close. So I then made a simple footprint with the needed pads. Here's the good part, I was then able to attach this footprint to the two pins in the schematic without making any specific matching schematic component. It's just an arbitrary link. This is very suitable for connectors and test points and jumpers and the likes. :)

Evan

Last edited: