Another New Guy

pntrbl

I've made the LED flash on an 08M Proto board and I'd like to move onward and upward from that. Got my eye on an AXE050 Tutorial board as the next logical step. With shipping from the UK being beyond reasonable I've been googling my brains out looking for a US distributor that carries them, but no joy so far .....

Any help?

Barring the AXE050 I'd also be interested in any advice as to what my next step should be.

Ultimately I'm hoping to come up with a data logging program that will be fed by my homemade anemometer. It's got a hall-effect sensor generating 8 pulses per rev. Plan A is counting the pulses for averages over time to get windspeeds and then somehow automatically sending that data to an Excel spreadsheet for a year long analysis.

Whether I'm smart enough to accomplish this remains to be seen, :D, but I'm sure gonna try .......

Thanx for any help.

SP

manuka

Greetings! If you are just after more PICAXE parts in general (unclear from your posting), check diverse US PICAXE outlets mentioned at www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz (scroll down ). Big ticket items can actually be cheaper directly from Rev.Ed in the UK, with UK-NZ delivery as fast as 4 days! P&P doesn't make this worthwhile for small orders, but offset this against exemption from the UK 17.5% VAT & maybe even CA sales taxes too - ~US$100 is about the ordering sweet spot. Stan

westaust55

PICAXE sources and infomation links

Welcome aboard the PICAXE forum.

Here are some further links to PICAXE hardware and information:
http://www.picaxe.us/picaxe-links.html

World Ed Services (WES) now goes under the name Advanced Micro Circuits (AMC) – the WES link still gets thru.

Peter Anderson is also US based.

westaust55

Greetings! If you are just after more PICAXE parts in general (unclear from your posting), check diverse US PICAXE outlets mentioned at www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz (scroll down ). Big ticket items can actually be cheaper directly from Rev.Ed in the UK, with UK-NZ delivery as fast as 4 days! P&P doesn't make this worthwhile for small orders, but offset this against exemption from the UK 17.5% VAT & maybe even CA sales taxes too - ~US$100 is about the ordering sweet spot. Stan

Just back from a trip to Canada and noting differences in pricing advertised versus final price compared to Australia was a significantly different way of selling.

Here in Australia prices generally are stated as the final price. When you get an invoice, the details show 90% as the item price + 10% GST = total price as advertised. So if an item is on display for $100 that is what you typically pay and the invoice shows as item = $90 and GST = $10 with a total of $100.

In Canada, the advertised prices appear in general to be the initial price. In Toronto, for example one must then add 5% GST plus 8% PAT to get the total price. So if an item is on display for $100 the invoice shows as item = $10 and GST = $5 plus PST = $8 for a total of $113.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you know how the pricing, taxing and advertising works in various countries.

BeanieBots

Welcome.
I honestly don't think the AXE050 is the right board for you.
It's great for educational uses but not much use as a project board.
You will very quickly find it too restrictive for what you want to do.
(once you have displayed a SINGLE digit number, then what?)

IMHO, you would be better off with either AXE110 (data logger) or AXE090 (experimenter). Also get an AXE033 LCD display.
With a fully populated AXE110 you will have most of what you need. A powerfull 18X, memory, battery backed RTC and the AXE033 will let you display the results/measurments very easily.

Dippy

I'll second that re Project Boards.

That's odd, I see Sparkfun are the official (sole?) dist in USA now.

What happened to Advanced Micro? They didn't last long. Can they still supply PICAXE? Can they still support warranty?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Whether official PICAXE distributers or not I don't see a warranty problem. Unless they say they don't give any warranty or don't legally have to, if they won't take faulty parts back etc; sue them. What they do after they've sorted out the problem with their customer is their concern.

If they won't give warranty then caveat emperor, you'll get what's on offer.

AMC seem to be alive and kicking and offering PICAXE product and seem to be offering the same warranty as they always have.

pntrbl

Wow! Doers this site rock or what? Thank You very much for all that useful info gentlemen. We're off to the races now .......

SP

boriz

Are you sure you need any pre-built boards at all?

I have always been perfectly happy with a simple solderless breadboard. Works with all chips, PICAXE or not, no limitations except board size. Practically infinitely reusable for any project from simple to advanced, digital or analogue etc..