Always needs Hard Reset

MoonGoon

hey there guys
Simple question.

My 28X2 will only program if I give it a hard reset everytime i program.
Its running off a 9v battery being regulated to 5.02v.

Can anyone suggest a reason why it might be always needing a hard reset?

Cheers for your help

moxhamj

What sort of program are you running? Sometimes long delays will always need a hard reset eg:
Code:
pause 60000  ' this needs a hard reset
Code:
for b0=1 to 60 ' this does the same thing but doesn't need a hard reset.
pause 1000
next b0
Some serin commands can also need hard resets.

But if it isn't in the code, maybe we need to look at other reasons.

rgooge

I had the same problem, a 0.1uF capacitor across the supply pins fixed it (I also threw in a 10uF). I was working on a new breadboard on the fly, cutting corners.

This can be a problem also if your PC/Laptop acts as a virtual earth (ie earthing through the -ve on a power supply and the ground of the programming lead). Though you should be OK running from a battery.

tiscando

PP3

MoonGoon, what kind of 9V battery are you using?

We won't recommend PP3 batteries with PICAXE at all.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The main reason for any PICAXE requiring a hard reset to download is that it is doing something ( INFRAIN, SERIN ) which while doing that it cannot see the download initialisation. SERRXD and DISCONNECT will also mean a hard reset will be required. There may also be occasional problems using SETFREQ K31 as although the PICAXE sees the download initiation, it's slow execution speed may not get it to actual downloading before the Programming Editor gives up.

MoonGoon

Well for some reason it is now programming without the Hard reset but now another problem has arrisin.

I download a program, and it runs fine. But as soon as I unplug the programming cable the PICAXE starts running the last program that i programmed with using a hard reset.

This is weird.
Is there something i should be aware of with the 28X2 and its ability to store multiple programs?
When i plug the cable back in, it starts running the most recent program.
Its jumping between different programs.

Any information someone cares to share?

eclectic

Well for some reason it is now programming without the Hard reset but now another problem has arrisin.

I download a program, and it runs fine. But as soon as I unplug the programming cable the PICAXE starts running the last program that i programmed with using a hard reset.

This is weird.
Is there something i should be aware of with the 28X2 and its ability to store multiple programs?
When i plug the cable back in, it starts running the most recent program.
Its jumping between different programs.

Any information someone cares to share?
If I were flippant, I'd make comments about
Twilight zone or Halloween.

Moongoon. Please post

a. Your program(s)

b. Your circuit diagrams

c. A couple of high resolution photographs of your setup.

e

BeanieBots

Strongly suggest you post your program as an absolute minimum.
The 28X2 does have the ability to have several programs but which one it runs is down to your code.
A faulty download circuit can produce 'erratic' behaviour, normally a reset.
As suggested, a good photo might reveal any issues there.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Sounds interesting and inexplicable on first analysis. You mention the 28X2's ability to store multiple programs; are you using / trying to use that capability ?

You can try a Clear Hardware Memory, or download an empty program, and that should stop the PICAXE 'doing anything'.