Alphanumeric displays LCD or LED?

Paolo1986

Hello all,

I’m just looking at the available alphanumeric displays which are out there, just thought I would ask for a few opinions and more importantly advice. Ideally I would like a 10 x 2 display Organic LED type but do not think such displays exists, does a 8 x 2 exists, if so do you know where I can buy one? Unfortunately the eBay seller SURE ELECTRONICS no longer stocks the OLED alphanumeric displays :(

The one which I saw on this forum was an Organic LED display 20 x 2 characters;

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9698&highlight=organic+LED

I also found a neat little LCD display on Farnell’s website;

http://uk.farnell.com/everbouquet/mc0802a-sgr/lcd-module-alphanumeric-8x2/dp/1137380

EVERBOUQUET - MC0802A-SGR
I am considering using this device but not sure as I have never used any LCD or LED before! Can this LCD be interfaced with the PICAXE? Can it be controlled with a single output or would it require a direct connection?

I have read the interfacing manual but cannot find the name/code of the IC (Serial LCD Firmware IC) as demonstrated on P.34. It also states ‘For more information, see the Serial LCD Firmware datasheet at www.rev-ed.co.uk’. Does anyone know where I can find this manual I have looked in the datasheet section but no sign?

Thanks for reading my post, your help is appreciated as always! :)

inglewoodpete

I think the document you want is called "AXE001_pic_electronics.pdf" and should be found in the documents directory under the programming editor where you have the PE installed. Unfortunately, the PC that I'm using does not have a copy of the PE installed, so I can't confirm this until this evening (W.Aust time).

Edit: It does not appear to be on the Rev-Ed website but I found a copy here. Refer to page 33.

Last edited:

moxhamj

http://www.oled-info.com/oled_display_modules/osd_16x2_drop_in_lcd_replacement_pled_oled samples for US$12. Not sure about shipping. But worth a search on google (ebay seems to have dried up).

These ones are directly compatible with the standard 16 line interface as described in the Picaxe manual. They are all compatible with picaxes and you just drop in the code as per the manual. Displays do eat a fair bit of code space though, so mainly whey work for the bigger picaxes eg 18X up.

There are also serial LCD displays - so you will need to decide if you go serial or parallel. Advantage of serial is it leaves a lot more lines spare on the picaxe. Advantage of parallel is the displays are available from many more sources which means the price is lower due to more competition.

If you want to experiment, I've found one way is to get the 16x2 LCD displays with the 16 pins on them and write code to interface to those. Don't solder them directly to a picaxe board, but use a SIL header and SIL socket, or wire to an 8x2 header. Then when you get a smaller display working, it is easy to drop in bigger ones as the pinouts are all interchangeable. You can then change to a 20x4 which uses almost identical code. Then change to OLED.

Some smaller LCD displays are well under $10 now.

Last edited:

moxhamj

Yes, nifty little chip. So I think there are three options:
1) Drive a parallel LCD directly (uses 6 lines).
2) Drive a parallel LCD via the firmware chip above.
3) Use a serial LCD.

BrendanP

Oately Electronics have a good alphanumeric LCD driver kit that works well with picaxe.

Futurlec have good prices on LCD's.