60kHz MSF Clock - Radio controlled time from Anthorn

Hi all,

I'm currently tinkering (between studying/decorating/childcare) with an MSF receiver module from PV Electronics, and I've been reading through all the previous postings on the forum (thanks!).

First, I feel I must declare that I work for Maplin and that this isn't a product plug!!
I bought an Acctim radio controlled analogue clock which is currently on offer for a tenner, in order to replace the module in a more decorative clock that we have. Now, the Acctim clock uses a Sheng Bang 1688 module which doesn't have a threaded collar like every other clock in our house — it's held in place by two screws on the back. But, after removing it anyway, I discovered a recess in the case, and some tiny little solder pads on the PCB. There are two pads connected directly to the battery terminals and a third which I measured as having a 60kHz signal at approx 6.8 mV peak-to-peak.

The signal (shown on the mini digital o'scope I used) appeared to offset positively slightly, in time with the LED blinking on my MSF module.

Just thought I'd share my findings in case someone finds this useful!

;)

bpowell

I played with the "atomic clock" signal out of Colorado...it was a lot of fun, and I was able to get a PICAXE to decode the signal reliably...I think Hippy had the most elegant code...I can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure it's in my history.

I can't help with the UK clock though...I'm not sure of the specs, etc...but it should be roughly the same.

Fun project!

Jeremy Harris

Decoding MSF isn't that hard and it is useful as an accurate way of setting an RTC, like the DS1307, in Picaxe projects.

I built a small box with a MSF receiver module, a Picaxe and an LCD display that I use to set the date and time on a few Picaxe based data loggers I use. The DS1307 RTC tends to drift a bit, in my experience, and the time really needs re-setting every week or two. I built a serial port, with a 3.5mm jack, into the MSF clock I built. Once the MSF clock is locked on to the signal this port outputs the data and time data as 2400 baud serial, using the same connection format as the Picaxe programming connector.

The data loggers I've built now all include a 3.5mm jack socket to allow them to detect and upload the MSF date/time data whenever I plug them into the MSF clock box. This makes setting the date and time on a project with a RTC nice and easy.